Help to Identify a Scottish Puritan Flag...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. J. Fang

Puritan Board Freshman
Can you please help me to identify this flag (image attached)? I'm wondering if it is one of the flag used by the Scottish Puritans during the Reformation. Thanks!

Attachments

• rp-flag_2.jpg
    rp-flag_2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0
That's where I heard that it might be a flag used by the Scottish Puritans during the Reformation, though I want to make sure.

Perhaps try contacting the church through their website. They likely know the history of the flag since they feature it on their site and in their Youtube videos.

I have to think that if it is connected to a historical banner, it is a highly stylized and modernized rendition of it.

I have to think that if it is connected to a historical banner, it is a highly stylized and modernized rendition of it.
I agree. One of the issues is exactly who these "Scottish Puritans" would be. The Covenanters had a flag, at least according to a 19th century source, but it looks nothing like this. It is a version of the saltire, which makes sense.

Is it possible that it was a family flag for a noble involved with the Puritan cause? Maybe, though as Phil says, it looks much more modern in its design. It's not clear who else would need such a flag. I could be wrong though.

By the way, in researching this, I came across the story of the "Puritan" version of the Massachusets Bay colony flag, which omitted the Red cross on a white background in the corner of a red flag (the flag of the English navy), leaving the white corner blank to avoid depicting the cross. Were there any similar attempts to replace the flags of England and Scotland, both of which have prominent crosses?

It looks very modern to me. Searches bring up the same flag that Iain found.

It may just be a congregational logo. My particular congregation has its own logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back