Help with a Quote by Thomas Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
I was wondering if someone on the PB could help explain the following quote by Thomas Watson (from The Godly Man's Picture, p. 36):

Superstition and profanity kiss each other. Has it not been known that those who have kneeled at a pillar have reeled against a post?
The context is the proper worship of God. The first part is easy enough to understand. It's the question that I am wondering about.

Seems to be a take on the saying "from pillar to post" or "from post to pillar" i.e. from whipping post to pillory. Oxford Dictionary of English Proverbs gives several examples but not Watson or anything close to it. See page 625. This link explains: "if someone goes from pillar to post, they are forced to keep moving from one place to another."

This link explains: "if someone goes from pillar to post, they are forced to keep moving from one place to another."

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Watson is talking about how when one brings in innovations in worship, something is lost in the process. The moving from place to place seems to fit.

He saying I think that it is observed that the superstitious don't stop there but move on to profanity.

Reeling means being unsteady on the feet as if one was dizzy or drunk. I would take Watson to be saying those who kneel at the pillar of superstition reel (fall, stumble) onto the post of profanity.

The phrase "from pillar to post" is usually uttered in exasperation as one feels they have been running round in circles trying to find something or get something done and all sorts of obstacles are thrown against them.

Web search finds this helpful British explanation: World Wide Words: From pillar to post

Also, Burroughs notes that superstititous vanities are caused by low estimations of who God is. [Hosea, p. 177]
Thus, I guess, the decline into profanity that Watson observes. He also notes that idolaters further their idolatry by lies [p. 343],
which would fall in line with Watson's comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back