Help with google drive conversion notations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
In Google Docs if I want to insert the "square" symbol ☐ the pop-up reads (for the shortcut) "u+2610"

How do utilize this shortcut? When I type "u+2610" it doesn't convert it to the square symbol.

Are you in Windows? If so, try holding the ALT key while typing the number. That's how you do unicode symbols in Windows. Ir's at lot more work to set up in Linux - you have to map a key as your 'compose' key, then use it. It appears that Google docs is trying to be platform agnostic in just giving the unicode set.

One quick question - have you tried cutting and pasting from your post above?

More info here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UddXKeOOWZ0U30V_eqnwi2PLD6qNx-W_xlzUfPZL4-k/edit?hl=en_US

Are you in Windows? If so, try holding the ALT key while typing the number. That's how you do unicode symbols in Windows. Ir's at lot more work to set up in Linux - you have to map a key as your 'compose' key, then use it. It appears that Google docs is trying to be platform agnostic in just giving the unicode set.

One quick question - have you tried cutting and pasting from your post above?

I am in Windows. I tried both and it didn't work.

Oops try - "hold the 'alt' key, press the '+' key on the numpad, and then type the hex code (which may contain 0-9 and a-f)"

May be an Alt+ code rather than an alt code.

Apparently, you can't do normal cut and paste, either. You have to use Ctrl - C and Ctrl - V for that.

AND, if that doesn't work, you just need to do a bit of surgery on your registry.

If this doesn't work at all, or you get the same character that you would if you had not hit ‘+’, do the following:
hit 'windows key - r'; type 'regedit' and hit enter
navigate through the tree to the following locations:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Control Panel / Input Method
Right-click and select 'New: String Value'
Name this new object 'EnableHexNumpad'
Right-click and select 'modify'; set the value to '1' and hit 'ok'
Now reboot the computer and try again!

AND, if you don't have a number pad, wait for someone with more skills than me to come along.

I just tried in docs, and had similar problems. You can use Insert>Special Character>Geometric shapes. I suppose you could copy/paste after that. I would hate that though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back