Help With My Vocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
For the past few months I've been looking into various careers, as I desire to make a change. I truly believe my spiritual life, family life, and work life would be much more rich and meaningful if I pursue another vocation.

I desire a weekday job, that is not a management job, but rather, one where I do my job and go home and not think about it until the next day. I don't desire to be in the American corporate world, as the pressure and greed are typically overwhelming. I'm not really skilled in any trade. I have a business degree and I desire peaceful work. I love animals and I love being in nature. My temperament is easygoing and reserved.

Any advice on something I should pursue? Are you satisfied with your job? If not, what would you rather be doing?

Thanks so much.

For the past few months I've been looking into various careers, as I desire to make a change. I truly believe my spiritual life, family life, and work life would be much more rich and meaningful if I pursue another vocation.

I desire a weekday job, that is not a management job, but rather, one where I do my job and go home and not think about it until the next day. I don't desire to be in the American corporate world, as the pressure and greed are typically overwhelming. I'm not really skilled in any trade. I have a business degree and I desire peaceful work. I love animals and I love being in nature. My temperament is easygoing and reserved.

Any advice on something I should pursue? Are you satisfied with your job? If not, what would you rather be doing?

Thanks so much.

If you're not interested in any sort of entrepreneurial endeavor, what about a job with a utility company, or some county or city agency? Post office? UPS? Sign installation- that's what we do! It's amazing how many signs and banners and flagpoles there are to install!

Brother,

I am currently in something of the same situation myself. I don't have advice, but rather look forward to any responses you may get. May I ask what you currently do for work?

I desire a weekday job, that is not a management job, but rather, one where I do my job and go home and not think about it until the next day.

Just a thought: you aren't right now looking for a vocation, but a means of paying your bills.

Nothing wrong with that at all. But a vocation is a calling: something that gives you strong feelings about doing. It might exhaust you, but you still want to get up the next day and dive back in.

The real key with a vocation is to remember to not let it consume your life. That means personal discipline in maintaining balance.

Of course, even a mere job will have a way of consuming you if you let it. Every thing we do in life is weighted by sin. A simple job can present complex and daunting problems as well: you might feel trapped by boredom vs. security.

So even with a simple job one needs to find the balance to avoid being consumed.

Thanks so much.

I think Vic's points about the difference between a job and a vocation are great.

I don't think there are long term prospects in any professional career where you can work "week days" and "not think about until the next day." While there will be stretches you can get away that kind of compartmentalizing, you will be forced to update your skills, network, and at least plan/think about your future in the work you've chosen. Sometimes to bridge over to another line of work you'll need to work two jobs for a season. Those things take a lot of time.

About three years ago I voluntarily switched industries. While I don't regret it, I certainly had to come to terms with financial constraints (income setbacks...ouch!), pride (going back to being an individual contributor for a while after managing for years), and just getting used to a totally new environment.

As much as you want to do what you'd like to do, you've got to what people will pay you to do.

Can you tell us a little bit more? Is what you described above a long term (over two years) plan or short term?

Last edited:
Ryan&Amber2013;1105752 said:

You have to first consider your family. I worked many long days and most Saturdays in heavy construction starting as a common laborer, because it paid better than many jobs (for which I had no qualifications) But, I kept getting promoted. Eventually, I was vice president of two different construction companies. (not at the same time :) Then at age 39 I started my own construction estimating business. I loved it, to answer your question. I still do. Now I only work part time and make three times the money I ever made working for someone else. And yes, I still love what I do.

As to "what would you rather be doing." I used to think I wanted to be a park ranger. That would be the life. Few interactions with people, being in the outdoors... But it just didn't pay enough, and even thy wanted more education than I had.

So one career I can vouch for is the construction industry. It pays more than many jobs. And there is often a chance for real advancement. Fast in my case. Construction companies are usually owned and operated by one or several people so the chance for advancement is a reality.

Well, that's my story. It doesn't fit your desire to work mostly alone, but I found the comradery in the field more than made up for the loss. Did I say it was hard work? I think I did.

Ed

I am really trying to find the right fit for me. I am currently a program director at a senior living facility, which I don't see myself doing long term. It doesn't suit my personality mainly because of corporate's interposing on everything. My degree is in management, but I have been really turned off by what I have seen. I have 3 classes left if I want to be a teacher, but it seems like everyone says that is not the field to pursue right now, and I think I agree.

I am a man of conviction and I have a sensitive conscience, so there are many jobs that would not suit me well. I really wish I had clear direction over what it is I should pursue. I am very thankful though, that the Lord has given me the job I have right now.

I want to pursue either being self employed, or having a job that would work well with who I am, and allow me to spend ample amounts of time with the Lord and my family. Since I have been in a management position, it has been very demanding of my life and causes my soul to grow weary. Ultimately I'm looking for work that will be most profitable for my soul and my family life. I know all this sounds vague, but thanks for your listening.

I wonder how you would do with something forestry related in private industry? Says the lady standing in front of a tree :)

Forestry as in cutting down trees?

Or growing them up. Private forestry is essentially very long-term farming--of course, it's farming of trees. The cutting down part is harvest, just like in farming wheat or fruits.

Good management of such businesses is the key to their long-term survival, pretty much like any other business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back