Helpful book on the Holy Spirit (Mr. Packer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott1

Puritanboard Commissioner
CEP Bookstore - KEEP IN STEP WITH THE SPIRIT 2ND EDITION

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F517R4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=080075235X&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZJQHXW464NQFTDWG7N9"]Amazon.com: Keep in Step with the Spirit: Finding Fullness in Our Walk with God eBook: J. Packer: Kindle Store[/ame]

For those seeking to better understand the role of the Holy Spirit in the lives of believers, this book comes highly recommended.

Many of us have been exposed to standard charismatic/pentecostal theology and practice, and do not understand its assumptions or the theology behind it, let alone how reformed theology explains it within the context of the whole of Scripture.

Having studied Scripture, and very gradually over the years, I've come to identify some of the "standard" errors of communions that identify themselves as charismatic/pentecostal.

These are my own summaries, but perhaps they will be helpful to others thinking these through now. Nobody wants to be "against" the Holy Spirit. And since John Calvin is sometimes called the "theologian of the Holy Spirit" it is of particular relevance to reformed theology.

Standard, major charismatic/pentecostal errors compared with reformed theology:

1) New revelation, equal to that of Scripture, ordinarily comes today through the I Corinthians 12 spiritual gifts.

Reformed: Scripture has been completed and the foundation for our faith laid in the past by the apostles and prophets.

2) That there is a "second work of grace" where the Holy Spirit comes in a separate, greater fullness than He does at the time of salvation.

Reformed: The Holy Spirit comes in absolute and infinite fullness at the time of salvation, and believers become more aware of Him as they avail themselves of the "ordinary means of grace" God has provided (e.g. Word, prayer, sacrament)

3) That a role and focus of the Holy Spirit calls attention to Himself so that one can live "the spirit filled life."

Reformed: The primary focus of the Holy Spirit is not to call attention to Himself, but to execute the will of God and call particular attention to the person and work of Jesus.

Once one carefully studies these common tenants of charismatic/pentecostal theology and practice, one will see they are not biblical and a cause why there is so much disorder in their communions.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back