Henry Cooke on suffering and the Psalms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Having been requested to write a Preface to a reprint, in Ireland, of an American treatise on the Psalmody of Christian worship, I have most cheerfully complied; — partly on account of the importance of the subject — partly on account of the talent displayed in the work — and partly that, by a detail of my own experience, I may add my humble testimony to a great principle. ...

For more, see Henry Cooke on suffering and the Psalms.

I was checking my blog's archives and came across another quotation from Henry Cooke (before the PCI's General Assembly in 1841) on a similar theme to the one in the above post:

Some years ago, he had taken ill, in going to Newry, to organize the Church there. He was five or six weeks unable to reach his own home, in consequence of the occurrence which had happened to him; and, while he was lying on the bed of sickness, his mind, however, capable of thought, he then, for the first time, discovered, that hymns were not suited to the sick man; and that the psalms only were suited to the period of sickness. He could find no truth in paraphrase or hymns, at that hour. …

For the reference, see Henry Cooke on what does a sick man sing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back