Hey! Where's the Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Graduate
There may be no answer or no one answer for my question but here goes. I love the church and ecclesiology. It is hands-down my favourite area of study. However, I have noticed a number of 19th century Theology texts which omit Ecclesiology from their systematic treaments (or only mention it in passing).

Systematic Theology by R. L. Dabney
Dogmatic Theology by William G. Shedd
Outlines of Theology by A. A. Hodge
Abstract of Systematic Theology by James P. Boyce
Manual of Theology by John Leadly Dagg

Now, admittedly, Dagg composed a second work exclusively on the church and Dabney, Shedd and Hodge do deal with the Sacraments, but Boyce omits it altogether. Why this apparent lack of interest in Ecclesiology in a time when it was such a hot topic? This has puzzled me for some time.

So, why do these predominately mid-to-late 19th century theologians omit any substantial treatment on the church (Nature, marks, purpose, government, &c.)?

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Seem to remember reading that Hodge intended to get to ecclesiology but never added a volume to his Systematic Theology. His son edited his father's writings and easily compiled a volume on the subject, titled Discussions in Church Polity.

[somebody correct the details of my account if I'm off]

Does this count?

The Church of Christ: a treatise on the nature, powers, ordinances, discipline, and government of the Christian church by James Bannerman

Try to find a systematic theology with a solid section on evangelism and/or missiology...even harder than ecclesiology.

And here's the kicker- it's the Presbyterians, who believe in the divine right of Presbyterianism that leave it out! :lol:

My guess is that Bannerman is so great that they just had their students read him. :)

Try to find a systematic theology with a solid section on evangelism and/or missiology...even harder than ecclesiology.

Well, that's if you see missiology and ecclesiology as separate topics. I don't. Missiology is one part of ecclesiology.

If ecclesiology is one part often neglected in systematic theology books, and missions is subsumed as just one category among many others under the category ecclesiology, I can just imagine the further neglect that the study of evangelism/missions suffers.

That would make another good OP.

Indeed. My thoughts exactly.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

If ecclesiology is one part often neglected in systematic theology books, and missions is subsumed as just one category among many others under the category ecclesiology, I can just imagine the further neglect that the study of evangelism/missions suffers.

Well, that's true. However, my observations deal principally with 19th century systematic texts. Most contemporary STs do include a full treatment of ecclesiology as well as missions and evangelism.

You look at Berkof he is a bit newer but still super strong. I bet youll find some ecclesiology stuff in the debates between Hodge and Nevins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back