Hi from Winlock, WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonderkins

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey everybody. I'm Jeff. My family and I are from Winlock, WA. It's known for having the world's largest egg. I'm a local truck driver, so home every day.

My family attends a little Baptist church in town where I serve as Deacon. I'm not entirely positive, but I think I'm reformed Baptist although the church is not. The biggest thing I struggle with is infant baptism.

I was a pentecostal for the first 30 years of my life. By God's grace, we were introduced to the ministry of John MacArthur. After about 9 months of wrestling with it, his sermon series on charismatic chaos helped us to finally break away from pentecostalism.

At the church we attended at time, our pastor spread false rumors about my wife to others in the church, which alienated us. We left and didn't know where to go. Admittedly we spent the next year out of any church. Therr was a lot ofpain involved in that dtama at church.

During that time I began to investigate everything I grew up with, as far as Christianity goes. That affirmed we were no longer pentecostal or charismatic. This was difficult for us. If you grew up in those worlds, you might know that nothing else really mattered outside the walls of your denomination. Baptists were weird, Presbyterians were boring (no offense).

So after that year, we decided we could no longer avoid church. We looked for quite a while and eventually ended up at our current church.

But Truth be told, my pastor is a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary. Until recently there haven't really been any issues, but a couple issues have arisen that have causeour theology to clash. One of those I will probably present as a question thread soon.

We are deciding what to do as there don't seem to be any good reformed churches in our area. But for now I'm here to learn from you folks on this site. I was happy to see my approval. For a long time I was intimidated by the process here and just never completed it. Don't know why.

Anyways, that's it for now. Hope that wasn't tmi.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the PB; sorry to hear what you've been through but maybe you can find a church home via members here from near there (or even not near there).

Andrew35

Puritan Board Sophomore
Welcome!

Hate to break it to you, but Baptists really are weird. And Presbyterians really are boring.

As for Reformed Baptists, well... put 2 and 2 together. :D

VictorBravo

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome from the other side of Washington. I have fond recollections of Winlock back when I practiced in Lewis County (among other counties).

Jonathco

Puritan Board Freshman
Welcome!

Hate to break it to you, but Baptists really are weird. And Presbyterians really are boring.

As for Reformed Baptists, well... put 2 and 2 together. :D
Also... :D
giphy.gif

Wonderkins

Puritan Board Freshman
Just so it's clear, the weird and boring were unsubstantiated claims that I never knew if they were true or not. Now I prefer those church groups.

D.L. Arter

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey Jeff,
It's good to meet you. I'm sorry you and your wife experienced what should have never occurred in a church. My wife and I experienced a similar situation when we decided to leave an unbiblical church as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.