Historic Premill-- I'm I the only historic premillennialist on the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you steal my "blatant eisogesis" line?!? I agree, btw. I have dominion over my kitty cat, not Chinese food. Oh wait, that can be the same thing. Poor kitty.

Hi Ryan,

I'm convinced of the Amill position (being nearest to the Apostle Paul ideas.) You ,might be pleased to know I also find G. Ladd's material edifying.

It's very good to spend time understanding all the views and compare with Holy Scripture.

:)

Robin

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Originally posted by Draught Horse
I'm convinced of the Postmil position (being nearest to Paul's).
:D

You believe in a literal thousand year millennium?

No, I hold to something close to an amillennial interpretation of the millennium. I use postmillennial because in the past amillennials got mad at me when I tried to claim myself as one of them...:lol:

[Edited on 1--22-06 by Draught Horse]

No, I hold to something close to an amillennial interpretation of the millennium. I use postmillennial because in the past amillennials got mad at me when I tried to claim myself as one of them...:lol:

I probably hold a *somewhat* similar view to you, but I dropped the Postmil name, since I don't believe in a literal millennium.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Originally posted by victorbravo
To clarify, I never really accepted dispensationalism after trying to understand it. I was taught it, but I was a middle-aged adult with a stubborn "prove it" streak when I was converted.

I think I could say about the same thing... at no time was I really an avowed dispensationalist, but sucked up their presuppositions as if by osmosis living in the fundamentalist Bible Belt... where Jerry Falwell is only fifty minutes away. When I was a naive young teenager, I was scaring my my little sister with crazy dispie end times literature...

I can identify with sucking up their presuppositions. When I was converted, I was mainly reading authors who were dispensational (first Hunt, then MacArthur, Lutzer, etc). I kind of assumed that any other interpretation was tantamount to liberalism until I learned differently.

Originally posted by fredtgreco
The truth is that there was no difference between (what is classic) amillenialism (as opposed to the William Cox version) and classic (non-theonomic) postmillenialism.

This is incorrect., and I believe you have made this mistake before. Infact there is a difference between amill (of any variety) and classic postmill, where as modern theonomic postmill is identical to amillennialism. The Puritans, the Covenanters (Durham, Cargill, Cameron, etc.), Jonathan Edwards et. al. up until approximately Rushdoony believed in a future millennium or latter day glory within the NT age. Rushdoony effectively promoted optimistic amillennialism, ie. that the entire NT age is the millennium. So there is no difference between (classical) amillennialism and theonomic (non-classical) postmillennialism.

Originally posted by Peter
Originally posted by fredtgreco
The truth is that there was no difference between (what is classic) amillenialism (as opposed to the William Cox version) and classic (non-theonomic) postmillenialism.

This is incorrect., and I believe you have made this mistake before. Infact there is a difference between amill (of any variety) and classic postmill, where as modern theonomic postmill is identical to amillennialism. The Puritans, the Covenanters (Durham, Cargill, Cameron, etc.), Jonathan Edwards et. al. up until approximately Rushdoony believed in a future millennium or latter day glory within the NT age. Rushdoony effectively promoted optimistic amillennialism, ie. that the entire NT age is the millennium. So there is no difference between (classical) amillennialism and theonomic (non-classical) postmillennialism.

I made some comment above on how amillennialists didn't like me calling myself one. Kind of corresponds to this.

I think its b/c many christians are frantically desperate to disassociate themselves with anything appearing even remotely connected to theonomy.

I'm I the only historic premillennialist on the board? I embrace the eschatology of G.E. Ladd, C.H. Spurgeon, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, and Papias.

Since historicist is generally regarded by the view that the pope/papacy is the antichrist/man of sin, and "the great whore" of Revelation is the RC church, I'm not sure how all these men can get placed in the historicist camp. Ladd maybe, but I'm not convinced of the others.

Originally posted by tcalbrecht
I'm I the only historic premillennialist on the board? I embrace the eschatology of G.E. Ladd, C.H. Spurgeon, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, and Papias.

Since historicist is generally regarded by the view that the pope/papacy is the antichrist/man of sin, and "the great whore" of Revelation is the RC church, I'm not sure how all these men can get placed in the historicist camp. Ladd maybe, but I'm not convinced of the others.

I'm not sure you should correlate "historicism" with historic premill-- Historicists can be postmillennial as most are. Historicism is a misnomer and shouldn't be presumptiously rolled up in "historic premillennialism." Visit Monergism.com's eschatology section on HP for an overview.

And Spurgeon said more negative things of Papacy than Ladd ever did.

[Edited on 1-22-2006 by Puritanhead]

Sorry, I misunderstood. I would have called them classic premils to differentiate them from the dispensational variety.

Originally posted by houseparent
I where Jacob is in my eschatology for the most part.

In short, here's my eschatology:

The Church Age is inclusive of the millennium.
I agree with amills on the timing of the kingdom (in other words, Christ's second return, the resurrection, and the final judgment will synchronize with each other).
However, I do not believe Christ will come back until ALL enemies have been made his footstool; thus, there will be a small difference between me and amillnnieals.

I definitely see the already, not yet here tension of the kingdom. Though, some dispensationalists loathe this and smear it as a amillennial notion. George Ladd writes of Johannine Dualism and explains this.

J, who cares what it's called....as long as we're reading Paul right and agreeing with him?

(I don't recall Paul using "millennial" language, btw. He does describe the "two ages" though!)

:cool:

r.

However, I do not believe Christ will come back until ALL enemies have been made his footstool...

Then WHY does Jesus return with an army?

:bigsmile:

Something to think about.....

r.

[Edited on 1-23-2006 by Robin]

Originally posted by Robin

However, I do not believe Christ will come back until ALL enemies have been made his footstool...

Then WHY does Jesus return with an army?

:bigsmile:

Something to think about.....

r.

[Edited on 1-23-2006 by Robin]
I won't debate this because I have better things to do, but I don't interpret Revelation the way you do, and with good reason. That is all I will say on the matter.

J, who cares what it's called....as long as we're reading Paul right and agreeing with him?

(I don't recall Paul using "millennial" language, btw. He does describe the "two ages" though!)

r.

Do you have something against the Apostle John?

r.

Do you have something against the Apostle John?

Huh? Of course not....John's not a millenarian, either, btw.

:)

r.

I don't think Jacobs a millenarian either. "Millenarian" was what the puritans (post-millennialists) called pre-millennialists. Jacob is something between postmill and amill not pre-mill.

I don't think Jacobs a millenarian either. "Millenarian" was what the puritans (post-millennialists) called pre-millennialists. Jacob is something between postmill and amill not pre-mill.
he was more like a deceiver

Originally posted by Slippery
he was more like a deceiver

Ok, I had that one coming...:lol:

I have...

End Times Fiction - Gary Demar
He Shall Have Dominion - Gentry
A Case for Amillennialism - Kim Riddlebarger
The Last Days According to Jesus - Sproul

So far, I lean towards "A Case for Amillennialism."

Any other recommendations? I don't think I've ever read anything in defense of the historic premil position. (maybe I should make this a new thread?)

[Edited on 1-24-2006 by Scot]

Ladd has given substantial defense of historic premil. He writes well and is competent to discuss the issues. Wayen Grudem has a succint section in his systematic theolgy where he forcefully, if not adequately, presents his case for historic premil. Millard Erickson takes the same position, albeit more balanced and less annoying.

Originally posted by Jim Snyder
Ryan,
I lean in the historicist premill. direction especially after reading H.G. Guinness. See this web site for his works:
http://www.historicism.com/index.htm

And with a name like Guinness it's gotta be good!

Jim:lol:

I just want to add... that historicism doesn't automatically correlate with historical premillennialism. Premillennialism can fit a "historicist" or "futurist" interpretation. All of these words have the capacity to be misnomers, because they mean so many different things to different people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back