Historic Premillenialism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintandsinner77

Puritan Board Freshman
I was just doing some research on Historic Premillenialism and discovered that
Ireneaus, 140–203, a disciple of Polycarp, who was a disciple of the Apostle John, and Papias 80–155, held to a historic premillenialistic position as well as Reformed Baptists John Gill and Charles Spurgeon and Presbyterians Francis Shaeffer and John Montgomery Boice.

I am wondering if anyone else holds this position here or if anyone forsees a movement toward this position rather than having to pick between Amillenialism and Postmillenialism?

It's James Montgomery Boice, for the record.

This year, at the OPC's 75th anniversary (founded in 1936) General Assembly, the Moderator's Address (always given by the previous year's Moderator) will be given by the Rev. Alan R. Pontier - a historic premillennialist. Machen would have been proud, and that's no joke.

I think one of the main reasons people reject premillennialism is that the premillennialist well was poisoned, so to speak, by the rise of dispensationalism in the early 19th century. Since dispensationalism is always associated exclusively with premillennialism, it has made many Reformed folks suspicious of premillennialism. But, as you've pointed out, historic premillennialism has a long history in the church, in fact, the longest history of any of the three basic eschatological positions.

In fact, it's in the Bible. :D

It is certainly unfortunate that Reformed folks equate dispensationalism with premillenialism. I have read arguments from all sides in books and articles and do not find amillenialism nor postmillenialism positions convincing from the Scripture. I'm glad to hear there are still good reformed men that hold to a historic premillennial position in that I don't feel as alone in that view....

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

Apologies for the error about Boice's first name..

(Raises His Hand)

I have actually thought of having a T-Shirt made that says "George Eldon Ladd is my hero"...but then, no one would know what I was talking about!

:D

I am wondering if anyone else holds this position here or if anyone forsees a movement toward this position rather than having to pick between Amillenialism and Postmillenialism?

<------raises hand.

In addition, Robert Peterson of Covenant Theological Seminary says (to quote him):
"I have an amill view of the rest of scripture and a historic premill view of Revelation 20. The premill position makes the best sense of the text."

Look up "Spirit, Church and Last Things" on iTunes U.

Since dispensationalism is always associated exclusively with premillennialism, it has made many Reformed folks suspicious of premillennialism.

It is the same thing with Supralapsarianism (I am not trying to dredge up another debate on this thread) and Hyper-Calvinism; just as not all supralapsarians are Hypers, but all Hypers are Supra, so not all premillenarians are dispensationalists, but all the latter are the former.

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

:wave:

I personally went from Dispensational to amillennial, to Historic Premillennialism (thesis, antithesis, synthesis), and I find it to be the least contrived out of all the eschatological jungles.

<------raises hand.

In addition, Robert Peterson of Covenant Theological Seminary says (to quote him):
"I have an amill view of the rest of scripture and a historic premill view of Revelation 20. The premill position makes the best sense of the text."

Look up "Spirit, Church and Last Things" on iTunes U.

That's essentially what Tom Schreiner says.

I moved from Dispensational Premil to Historic Premil to Amil...blame Vos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back