History of Instruments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask the question here. With reasoning consistent with what you've said here, what would be your argument against clerical robes, incense, et al, or would you have one?

I haven't thought about it, though I would say that my pastor would look really, really bad in a Geneva gown!

Elder Zuelch,
Have you considered that the use of musical instruments was a function of the Levitical office? Is there a New Testament office that has been given the same charge?

Old Testament singing has been carried over into the New Testament. Why could the same not be said for instruments?

The lack of something doesn't prove the use of something. This doesn't follow logically. If I don't speak about eating oranges, this doesn't prove that I am eating oranges. It only proves that there is nothing specifically talking about oranges. It also doesn't prove motive or intent, thus your argument about them not being worried is an assertion. Logical consequence.

The lack of something also doesn't disprove the use of something. If you don't mention oranges, it also doesn't mean that you're not eating oranges.

The lack of something also doesn't disprove the use of something.

Unless the one speaking is the Holy Spirit and the subject is God's worship. An omission of a worship element by the Holy Spirit is the same as a prohibition. That is how the RPW operates and that is what numerous brothers have attempted to show you here.

An omission of a worship circumstance by the Holy Spirit is not the same as a prohibition. We do not hold that a microphone is a violation of the RPW, because it is merely an aid to the element preaching with no religious significance. As I mentioned earlier, musical instruments cannot be called a circumstance because they are positively loaded with religious significance, as much as we try and deny it now.

Yes, in a sense, since singers and instrumentalists support each other and encourage each other in their singing and playing.

Have you ever seen what happens at a concert when the lead singer stops singing, his band stops playing, and he holds the microphone toward the audience? Low and behold how the audience starts singing and becomes a participant in the show. The same can and should happen during worship minus the lead singer and band.

Justin Martyr AD 150
Plain singing is not childish, but only the singing with lifeless organs, with dancing and cymbals,etc. Whence the use of such instruments and other things for children are lain aside, and plain singing only retained.
Clemens of Alexandria AD 190.
We Cristian's make use only of one organ or instrument, even the peaceful Word, with which we honour God; no longer with the old psaltery, trumpet, drum, cymbal, or pipe.
Cyprian AD 240.
Such organs, or instruments were then permitted in the OT church for this cause, even for the sake of their weakness, to stir up their minds to perform their external worship with some delight.
Chrysostom AD 396
Instrumental music was permitted to the Jews, as sacrifice was, for the heaviness and grossness of their souls. God condescended to their weakness, because they were lately drawn off idols; but now instead of instruments we may use our bodies to praise Him withal. Again, let no man deceive you, these instruments appertaining not to Christians; these are alien to the Catholics church; all these things do the nations of the world seek after.
The Magdeburg Centuriators on AD 666.
At last in the year 666, when the number of the beast (Rev 13) was now full, the churches received Latin singing with organs from Pope Vitalian, and from thence began to say Latin mass and to set up altars with idolatrous images.
Thomas Aqinas AD 1225-1274.
In the old law, God was praised both with musical instruments and human voices. But the church does not use musical instruments lest she should seem to Judaize. Nor ought a pipe ,or harp, or the like be brought into use in the Christian Church, but only those things that make the hearer better men. Under the OT such instruments were used because they were typical of something.
Erasmus AD 1516.
We have brought a cumbersome and theatrical music into our churches. Men run to church as to a theatre to have their ears tickled. And for this end organ makers are hired with great salaries.
Cardinal Cajetan Ad 1518.
The Church did not use organs in Thomas Aquinas' time, and even to this day the Church of Rome does not use them in the presence of the Pope.
Calvin 1546.
Instrumental music is not fitter to be adopted into the the public worship of the Christian Church than the incense, the candlestick,and the shadows of the Mosaic law.
John Wesley 1703-1791.
I have no objection to instruments being in our chapels, provided they are neither seen or heard.
Spurgeon.
We should like to see all all the pipes and organs in our Nonconformist places of worship either ripped open or compactly filled with concrete. The human voice is so transcendently superior.

I have omitted other historical and more modern quotes else I should be guilty of tedium. There is only one organ that had been created to express adoration and worship and that is the "little member." Sanctified and fitted to sound forth our great Redeemers praise both in time and eternity.
Instruments have no place in NT or in eternity.

Last edited:
I checked the OPC's General Assembly reports on song in worship (1946 and 1947) and, unless I missed it somewhere (the combined report is very long), I see no mention that musical instruments were discussed. Interesting.

If you'd like to read these reports, go to: www.opc.org, click on "General Assembly" and you'll find them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back