History of Western Philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

Puritan Board Freshman
What are some good books about the the History of Western Philosophy? What books do they use at different seminaries?

I have Bahnsen's lectures and am thinking about buying the History of Western Philosophy by Copleston.

If you have the money, Copeleston is a good investment.

In Bahnsen's lectures he used W.T. Jones 5 Vol. History of Western Philosphy. They are pricey (around $50/ea.) but they are excellent at summarizing the views.

Colin Brown's history is good. It stands at 2 volumes with a 3rd due out.

For ancient philosophy from the Pre-Socratics to Aristotle - check out W.K.C. Guthrie. He has a 6 vol. work.

Bertrand Russel is a standard 1 volume work. Another multivolume (10 vol. $200) is the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

A Good starting point is the 8 vol. Encylopedia of Philosophy edited. by Paul Edwards. You can find it used for around 100 bucks. This is a standard work and has a lot of history, biographies, and topical entries. I would buy this first before I bought anything else.

Bahnsen's lectures are great aren't they? Hope this helps. Hopefully Paul Manata will chime in with some additions.

Paul and Don,

If you can find it - I found one used - pick up Bertrand Russell's Wisdom of the West. It is a larger history book with pictures - kinda encylopedia like. It contains tons of portraits of the philosophers and their works as well as locations. I could see when teaching, that scanning these in and using them would be great.

ISBN 0-517-06420-0
editor Paul Foulkes
Crescent Books, Inc.
copyright 1959

Looks like Amazon has quite a few used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/0517064200/ref=dp_primary-product-display_1//104-0380684-8093559?condition=all

If you get one, you'll have to let me know what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back