Hitchcock flicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Joseph

Puritan Board Senior
My wife works in the evenings. I'll sometimes watch a classic film while folding laundry....

I'm starting to binge on Hitchcock films.
I just caught the James 'Jimmy' Stewart classics Rear Window and Vertigo and really enjoyed them. I caught clips of Psycho and The Birds back in the day and Im not interested in revisiting those. Any other one's worth watching?

Last edited:
I enjoyed Rope, which also stars James Stewart. If I’m remembering correctly I think this is the film shot in one continuous shot, though it’s very obvious to see where the cuts are haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed Rope, which also stars James Stewart. If I’m remembering correctly I think this is the film shot in one continuous shot, though it’s very obvious to see where the cuts are haha

Yeah, I'm ashamed to say that I had never seen a Stewart film till now. He's superb. I see he stared in 4 or 5 Hitchcock films, so i'll probably catch the rest. I also see that North By Northwest is pretty highly recommended.

To Catch a Thief is a classic. Really liked North by Northwest. The Man Who Knew Too Much, and The Lady Vanishes are also spectacularly well done.

To Catch a Thief is a classic. Really liked North by Northwest. The Man Who Knew Too Little, and The Lady Vanishes are also spectacularly well done.
The Man Who Knew Too Little is so funny. If I had known you were a fan (and we had had a TV, I guess) I would have suggested we watch it at GA since it's been way too long since I've seen it!

Edit: Oops. I'm thinking of the one with Bill Murray. Still funny but definitely not a Hitchcock film.

The Man Who Knew Too Little is so funny. If I had known you were a fan (and we had had a TV, I guess) I would have suggested we watch it at GA since it's been way too long since I've seen it!

Edit: Oops. I'm thinking of the one with Bill Murray. Still funny but definitely not a Hitchcock film.
Yeah, I've seen and enjoy the one with Bill Murray, too. It is a spoof of the Hitchcock thriller. I remembered the wrong one in my original post.

Yeah, I've seen and enjoy the one with Bill Murray, too. It is a spoof of the Hitchcock thriller. I remembered the wrong one in my original post.
In my excitement I replied without thinking and only afterward went, "I thought that was a pretty recent movie and wasn't really a classic..." and headed over to IMDb and realized that.

What a timely thread. My wife and I started watching through some Hitchcock films. We just watched Rear Window. Fantastic!

Rear Window is a favorite of mine, and you might revisit Psycho. It's superb and shows that horror and suspense doesn't have to be graphic at all.

We're watching "No Highway in the Sky", not a Hitchcock film, but James Stewart is in it as well.

What a timely thread. My wife and I started watching through some Hitchcock films. We just watched Rear Window. Fantastic!
Yeah, unique viewing experience and social commentary. Predicts the voluntary voyeurism of social media, which is essentially digital 'people watching' without the spontaneity.

Last edited:
Rear Window is a favorite of mine, and you might revisit Psycho. It's superb and shows that horror and suspense doesn't have to be graphic at all.

We're watching "No Highway in the Sky", not a Hitchcock film, but James Stewart is in it as well.
I recently caught the end of Psycho and I was like, "Check, Please!" ..... so creepy it gave me goosebumps. Anthony Perkins would never be the same. He was always Norman Bates after that....

Not Hitchcock, but a great action/mystery/suspense/romantic-comedy with a twisting plot that will keep you guessing is Charade (1963) with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. I thought it must be a Hitchcock film when I first saw it...

Last edited:
Not Hitchcock, but a great action/mystery/suspense/romantic-comedy with a twisting plot that will keep you guessing is Charade (1963) with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. I thought it must be a Hitchcock film when I first saw it...
I thought the same thing.

Make mom is a Hitchcock aficionado. Plus, I think we have seen all his TV show episodes from the 50s and 60s. They are reminiscent of the Twilight Zone.

Just watched Rope. I was pretty surprised with the dark, edgy themes of depopulation/eugenics/human sacrifice (presented in a very subdued/suggested manner). Also, although never explicitly noted, the killers were supposed to be gay lovers (at least according to the source material) which just adds to the timeliness of the chaos depicted. Definitely a study in depravity, but softened by the time it was made (1948). Even Jimmy Stewart was pretty unlikable in this film. Very edgy for its time. Not Psycho edgy, but nonetheless.....

Last edited:
Here's another strange one....
The Manchurian Candidate 1962 - Frank Sinatra, Angela Lansbury

Here's another strange one....
The Manchurian Candidate 1962 - Frank Sinatra, Angela Lansbury
That was a Hitchcock film? I had no idea!

Great movie, but the age difference between the stars was distracting.

Close. The film was shot in ten-minute takes, and each ten-minute section was shot in one continuous take. Every time the camera closes in on someone's back (for example), the ten minutes are up and it's time to re-load for the next ten-minute section.

My wife works in the evenings. I'll sometimes watch a classic film while folding laundry....

I'm starting to binge on Hitchcock films.
I just caught the James 'Jimmy' Stewart classics Rear Window and Vertigo and really enjoyed them. I caught clips of Psycho and The Birds back in the day and Im not interested in revisiting those. Any other one's worth watching?
Just a few weeks ago I watched both Psycho and The Birds. Psycho was excellent, The Birds was sort of ridiculous. If you can find his old tv show, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, many of those shows are very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back