Hockey anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by JohnV

Dave:

My best friend lives in Thunder Bay. He's the minister at the CRC there. If you run into him say Hi for me, will you?

Sure thing.

If its from Ottawa, they don't like it. I think they half expect Paul Martin to be the coach or something like that.

Pretty much! :lol:

Any other Canadians want to chime in? Any Flames or Oilers fans here?

Hab fans speak up! Your beloved team is being trashed by Hogtown! Maybe you should eat your Canadian bacon with a side of delicious maple syrup!

*quietly incites violence against TO*

[Edited on 9-29-2005 by poimen]

Don't tell me we are all petered out! I lost some interest in hockey last year (naturally) and I am not really up to date on the teams anymore so any other fans please tell us your favorite team and how you think they will do this year.

The Hockey Song (The Good Old Hockey Game)

Hello out there, we're on the air,
It's hockey night tonight;
Tension grows, the whistle blows,
And the puck goes down the ice.

The goalie jumps, and the players bump,
The fans all go insane;
Someone roars, "Bobby scores!"
At the good old hockey game.

Oh! The good old hockey game,
Is the best game you can name;
And the best game you can name,
Is the good old Hockey game!

Second period....
Where players dash with skates a-flash,
The home team trails behind;
But they grab the puck and go bursting up,
And they're down across the line.

They storm the crease like bumble bees,
They travel like a burning plane;
We see them slide the puck inside,
It's a one-one hockey game.

Third period....
Last game of the playoffs too!
Oh, take me where the hockey players,
Face-off down the rink;
And the Stanley Cup is all filled up,
For the champs who win the drink.

Now the final flick of a hockey stick,
And on one gigantic screen;
Well, the puck is in - the home team wins,
That good old hockey game.

####.... Stompin' Tom Connors ....####

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Originally posted by poimen
:tombstone:Hockey (1904-2005):tombstone:

*Hmmm... let's see. How long would it take me to drive to Danville, VA to whale on Puritanhead?*

According to Mapquest it would be 43 hours, 39 minutes. Maybe you should get a plane ticket instead?

:p

Okay. Thanks for the tip. What's the nearest international airport?

Piedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro, NC and Raleigh Durham International Airport in between Raleigh and Durham. Take your pick!
:D

Piedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro, NC and Raleigh Durham International Airport in between Raleigh and Durham. Take your pick!
:D

I'll see you tomorrow!
fryingpan.gif

Originally posted by ChristopherPaul
No, I am a firm believer in the historic confessions that associate the NJ Devils and the Flyers (and especially the Capitals) with the antichrists of the world. ;)

OK Christopher! I can see we are going to have a great time here. The only good thing that I can say so far is that you are not a Flyers fan. But to associate the Capitals with antichrist must be close to blasphemy. I'll be sure to keep you in my prayers this season. And since my beloved Crapitals most likely won't make the playoffs, I'll pray for you then, too.
:pray2:

I know jujitsu and kickboxing, plus I learned street-fighting in the hood as a teenager! Me not afraid of no one except people with loaded guns!
;)

I know jujitsu and kickboxing, plus I learned street-fighting in the hood as a teenager! Me not afraid of no one except people with loaded guns!
;)

Yeah but can you handle a guy on rollerblades with a metal stick? :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Calvibaptist
Originally posted by ChristopherPaul
No, I am a firm believer in the historic confessions that associate the NJ Devils and the Flyers (and especially the Capitals) with the antichrists of the world. ;)

OK Christopher! I can see we are going to have a great time here. The only good thing that I can say so far is that you are not a Flyers fan. But to associate the Capitals with antichrist must be close to blasphemy. I'll be sure to keep you in my prayers this season. And since my beloved Crapitals most likely won't make the playoffs, I'll pray for you then, too.
:pray2:

I am going to suggest that we add Favorite NHL Team to signature requirement, that way we will be able to better discern the spirit of truth from the spirit of error.

You my lost friend need to reexamine what it is you believe.

Poimen, could you please cross check this misguided friend as well, thanks.

;)

A few years ago, the Caps had a commercial on tv where they showed a golfer lining up his putt. He stepped slowly up to the ball, adjusted his stance, and was clobbered by a crosscheck from a hockey player. The tag line was, "Golf would be better if it was hockey."

I suggest another commercial. A man sits at the computer. On his desk are his well-worn copies of Calvin's Institutes, the WCF (or LCF), and his Bible. He is endlessly typing away, when someone hip-checks him to the floor. The tag line - "Puritanboard would be better if it was hockey."

:pilgrim:

I'm sure every Canadian is stirred when Stompin' Tom sings this one. Now I'm getting excited. :up:

Hello out there, we're on the air,
It's hockey night tonight;
Tension grows, the whistle blows,
And the puck goes down the ice.

The goalie jumps, and the players bump,
The fans all go insane;
Someone roars, "Bobby scores!"
At the good old hockey game.

Second period....
Where players dash with skates a-flash,
The home team trails behind;
But they grab the puck and go bursting up,
And they're down across the line.

They storm the crease like bumble bees,
They travel like a burning plane;
We see them slide the puck inside,
It's a one-one hockey game.

Third period....
Last game of the playoffs too!
Oh, take me where the hockey players,
Face-off down the rink;
And the Stanley Cup is all filled up,
For the champs who win the drink.

Now the final flick of a hockey stick,
And on one gigantic screen;
Well, the puck is in - the home team wins,
That good old hockey game.

####.... Stompin' Tom Connors ....####

That's Dr. Stompin' Tom.

Originally posted by Calvibaptist
A few years ago, the Caps had a commercial on tv where they showed a golfer lining up his putt. He stepped slowly up to the ball, adjusted his stance, and was clobbered by a crosscheck from a hockey player. The tag line was, "Golf would be better if it was hockey."

I suggest another commercial. A man sits at the computer. On his desk are his well-worn copies of Calvin's Institutes, the WCF (or LCF), and his Bible. He is endlessly typing away, when someone hip-checks him to the floor. The tag line - "Puritanboard would be better if it was hockey."

:pilgrim:

:lol:

What a great commercial!

Doctor? Has he been given a honorary degree? If so, he deserves it!

Yes, Dr. of Laws, as I recall. I can't remember if it was Queens, McGill, or U of T. It could even have been Mac. I don't remember who conferred in on him, but he was honoured with that degree a number of years back. It was before they make The Big M a senator. Anyways, when Stompin Tom sings "The Good Ol' Hockey Game" , or even "Bud the Spud", he now does it with authority. :D

As a Toronto fan, I want to be the one to tell you what's wrong with the Leafs. I think they can likely handle the Senators, the Flyers, and the Flames. Those were not the foes that defeated them in the past. It was always the press that did that. That is their biggest game to win.

Back in '92-93, the Fletcher Leafs became a team that has become the envy of every team in the league. They always place well in the standings, they have a solid team year after year, and they have a large market area and income base. But you can't change your socks without the press there. Even if Sundin scored three goals every game, they would be all over him if he scored only twice on one night. The Leafs lose in the press whether they win or lose.

I'll tell you why I think that. In '93, as they were returning home from L.A., after the sixth game of the semis, I met them coming through the terminal at the airport. Sittler, a team employee at the time, walked right past me, close enough for me to slap him on the back. It surprised me when I recognized him. I said to my wife and daughter, "Hey, that's Darryl Sittler!" and he turned and looked at me as if I was expecting something from him. But the look on his face said it all. Then Zezel walked past me, and then Berg, and slowly all the less popular ones slipped by. Now there were a pile of fans there, but I heard no big cheer when they came through the big double doors. It seemed as if no one noticed. And then it hit me: Sittler had slipped past everyone, and it surprised him as much as me that I said his name. It was as if he had felt betrayed. I can still see the look. And it was repeated on every face I saw.

It spoke volumes to me. There was no question that they could beat L.A.; they just could not beat the expectations put on them by the press. And everyone reads the sports pages, and then jaws about what they read, thinking they're talking about last night's game. With Burns as their coach, and the press eating it all up, they were toast already before they hit the ice for game seven. It was written all over their faces as they came through the airport. I wanted to shout out, "Hey, its only a game: go out and have some fun!" but I didn't.

I read the sports pages most times, and it is mostly depressing, even when the Leafs are winning. That's the way the press is in Toronto and its immediate fan area.

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by JohnV]

Talk about disappointments.

At the end of the first half of the season, Pittsburgh is 26th (out of 30 teams) in the league with a record of 11-19-9 - a measly 31 points.

Ho Hum, needless to say my preseason balloon quickly burst.

Crosby is impressive and Washington only has 29 points ( :p ), so not all is bad, it could be worse.

My Leafs are doing worse than I had expected but have picked it up as of late (6 wins in a row). They are 23-14-3 for 49 points and in good shape to make the playoffs. They just need to get some guys back from injuries.

Surprise of the year: Not Crosby (we all knew he'd be good) but Alexander Ovechkin. He leads all rookies in points right now. This guy is good.

Canada won the world juniors last night over Russia 5-0 so I'm quite happy.

Originally posted by daveb
Surprise of the year: Not Crosby (we all knew he'd be good) but Alexander Ovechkin. He leads all rookies in points right now. This guy is good.

Indeed, between Crosby and Ovechkin, the loosers got some young guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back