Holy Days: One of these three things is too much like one of the others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modern Evangelical: "I think you need to be careful making distinctions between the sacred and the secular; all of life is holy!"

Also Modern Evangelical: "As we enter this season of Holy Week..."

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Modern Evangelical: "I think you need to be careful making divisions between the sacred and the secular; all of life is holy!"

Also modern Evangelical: "As we enter this season of Holy Week...."

:rolleyes:
Modern Evangelical Pastor: “This morning’s sermon will be 3 points and 25 minutes. But oh how I am enthralled to deliver you a message about how Jesus is your real Easter bunny!”

Last edited:
Did you know there's another holiday called Pentecost that some Christians observe? I just learned that today while listening to Renewing Your Mind.

I used to get frustrated with people who wanted to connect Christ with Christmas and Easter. Now I try to be more charitable to them since Romans 14 allows people to count some days holy and allows others to not count those same days as holy. Although Scriptures allow for this personal freedom, I believe it should be kept out worship ( I don't mind if the related Scripture is preached for these holidays since it's God's word). To be honest, I don't know what that would look like for Easter since there really isn't any decorations for Easter, but for sure there shouldn't be a Christmas tree in the church or whatever else related to Christmas that some churches do. Individuals should be free to celebrate these holidays at home how they want to. I personally don't celebrate Easter. I'll go to an Easter meal but it's the food and fellowship I'm going for. I celebrate Christmas but it's for the fellowship, meal, lights, music, decorations and gifts that I celebrate it.

I'll go to an Easter meal but it's the food and fellowship I'm going for. I celebrate Christmas but it's for the fellowship, meal, lights, music, decorations and gifts that I celebrate it.
This is the heart of my position. I care not whatsoever for false-called holy days, seeing the only one appointed under our dispensation is the first day of the week.

God uses the error of men for his own glory and good, and I by no means say with the wicked let us do evil, that good may come; however, (I am not quite sure how to articulate this thought) I am glad God has appointed unbelievers in this world that they may work on the Sabbath, and not I or other Christians. In a similar manner, (whilst my thoughts are being fleshed out as I'm typing this) although the men who wrought and invented these false holy days, were in rebellion against God, I am glad to use them as an excuse to fellowship with other Christians, caring nothing for the day itself. There is nothing special, about any day, than the Lord's Day.

I am probably not doing it right either.
It's your shot at redeeming culture. As I recall, the term "meme" was originated by Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene. He defined it as a "unit of cultural transmission."

I don't think our current memes really function that way, though.

I rejoice to say that my church is climbing slowly out if the dark valley of superstition: both at Christmas and yesterday (easter) an introductory discourse was given to show that pretended holy days have no place in the church, to be immediately followed by sermons on why Christ's birth matters and why the resurrection matters, respectively (facepalm!). At least they're giving a nod to the RPW, so, little by little. I was also glad that in the whole span of the day we sang more psalms than resurrection-specific hymns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back