homosexuality in the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary

Puritan Board Freshman
I have heard about 2 separate stories in the news today regarding homosexuality:

1. A first grader in North (South?) Carolina brought home a book from her school library about a prince who falls in love and marries another man and has a family. The girl's parents are outraged. Here in Michigan our local public schools are always crying poverty - cutting this and that program. Are the Carolina schools so flush that they have the money to shell out for what is obviously a NEW book in order to further a cause like gay marriage? And aren't the Carolinas in the "Bible Belt?" I mean, we're not talking California here!

2. An openly lesbian minister in the Methodist Church is being "tried" by her church for marrying her partner. Now, of course, to my way of thinking, the news story was already a joke when I heard the words "lesbian minister" since the Bible is pretty clear about women being ministers. Naturally there are protesters, ready to stand up for this woman's "rights." I'm torn. Part of me is pretty mad that a church cannot even conduct its own disciplinary actions any more. Why should people who aren't members of a group (be it a church, a club etc.) have a say in that group's rules and regs? Of course, that's all too typical these days.

The other part of me is...well, smirking, I guess is the only way to put it. I don't see how the Methodists CAN take a firm stand on homosexuality when they have not taken a stand on much of anything else for as long as I can remember!!

Any thoughts or comments?

Mary

Another county in OR is issuing marriage lic. to gays as of yesterday.

Heard of a church that wanted to dismiss some members that hadn't attended in a long long time - the people in question went to court and the judge ruled that members could not exclude members from the membership.

We haven't seen anything yet, we'd better learn to start ducking :no:

Ooooh! We might get persecuted!

A prominent Christian leader has gotten so worked up about gay "marriage" that he's called on all Christians to make a real sacrifice and do something really REALLY hard...get ready...he's asked them to pray for our country for 5 ENTIRE MINUTES a day!

God help us Evan-jellyfish!

If we dismiss this with sarcasm or trivial comments, we do not sense the volatility of the issue. I wish someone could go with me to www.morons.org and carry on, or attempt to carry on a discusion. I honestly wonder, do we leave them to their own peril and basically ignore them while they persevere? What is our call? Some people so flippantly say "Well they don't believe the Bible, don't believe God, so don't pay any attention to them. They get what they deserve." Somehow that doesn't make sense to me. But to engage in conversation with them is incredibly frustrating...and scary. Today we never take threats lightly. The hatred is palpable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back