Honest Sabbath Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
I know this question may be silly, but I'll toss it out there and get some feedback anyway.

As you know, we are in the line of fire for the hurricane. Our church cancelled the services tomorrow. So it's going to be an out of ordinary day with no church or fellowship. Would it be wrong to go to a really good donut business for breakfast tomorrow because of the occasion? We haven't been out to eat on a Lord's Day for probably over 6 years. I just wonder if due to the circumstances, this would be permissible.

Last edited:
I'd say no. Avoid doing that unless u have no electricity and are providentially hindered. Carry on w/ your typical Lord's day. Devotions etc. Call in or get online w/ a faithful church.

Would it be wrong to go to a really good donut business for breakfast tomorrow because of the occasion?
I don't understand. What is the "occasion"? Your church has cancelled its Lord's Day worship service because a hurricane is hurtling towards you. Why would this cause you to be inclined to go to a bagel shop?
I just wonder if... this would be permissible
Why would it be? Does God's Law not stand?

It seems like if circumstances kept you from corporate worship (and perhaps another local church is available to attend or use Scott's suggestion?), the other things in the 4th commandment are still in effect. For instance, if my church cancelled service, I wouldn't think it appropriate to go to work to catch up on my projects. The first (church being canceled) I think fits in the "neccesity and mercy" exception; but I do not see the second (working or donuts) doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back