Horrendous. Disgusting. Pick a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
We should not give solace or support to church leaders who make terrible decisions, like canceling services on Lord's Day, December 25 (especially if 'we all know Christmas is special' sort of garbage reasoning; disgusting).

Lots of places around Dallas to enjoy Lord's day worship on the last Sunday of the calendar year.

Lots of places around Dallas to enjoy Lord's day worship on the last Sunday of the calendar year.
I'm sure. Most like advent 4 week? Of those churches who faithfully do remain open, how many still compromise with the seasonal observances? I was told just a while ago that after "someone" made a solicitation, our church will not cancel evening service for the 25th when in the past we did so. So I'm thankful while still recognizing my church has a long way to go (we've cut a lot over the years but remnants still remain). Presbyterians (other than the PINO kind) can recognize that a true church that still holds services on Dec. 25 while tainted with kowtowing to the observances of the season is more faithful than a big Eva church that cancels services for the "holiday" stuff, which how they can reconcile that to the first and second and third, AND fourth commandments I'll never understand. Any way, recognizing that does not mean we fold up the tent on the one battle to exclusively fight the other. But we distinguish and give credit where it is due, without relenting on condemning the kowtowing.

It is a bit of a trek from Somerville, Massachusetts
But it's worth the trip. There's always a chance to enjoy 3 seasons just a few days. For example today it was springtime - highs in the mid sixties with thurderstorms and tornados. Before the end of next week, wind chills will be in the mid teens. Last Sunday was a clear fall day with lows in the 50s. Lots of flavors of Presbyterians, but for you Anglicans, one of the largest Anglican churches in the country is in a Dallas suburb. (And yes, they'll be worshipping on Dec. 25).

Any refugees are welcome to our gathering. We carry on as always. Nobody even asks me about seasonal stuff anymore.

This isn't lukewarm; it's idolatry, or superstition, or apostasy. None great places to be.
Presbyterians (other than the PINO kind) can recognize that a true church that still holds services on Dec. 25 while tainted with kowtowing to the observances of the season is more faithful than a big Eva church that cancels services for the "holiday" .
Do you think churches which error/sin in this (albeit perhaps significant error/sin) are false churches, likely full of apostates?

I'm sure. Most like advent 4 week? Of those churches who faithfully do remain open, how many still compromise with the seasonal observances?
Last Lord's Day, I nearly vomited after the advent wreath, followed by a song about Christmas. I told my wife, "That's it; I'm out of here." Discussing this later with my elder, he "explained" to me why there is nothing wrong with celebrating Xmass on the Lord's Day, I had to tell my elder, "See ya next year."

At least it will be another 11 years before the 25th is on the Lord, His Day. I told him that, thankfully, I would most likely not live to see that day.

EDIT: After sending this, my wet eyes, looking to heaven, my heart, and voice cried out saying, "You are the God, You are the God, You are the master of all, You are the Savor of the World."

Last edited:
Did we ever have a vomiting emoji?
:barfy:

Pick a word...

contemptible
beneath contempt
loathsome
hateful
detestable
reprehensible
abhorrent
abominable
awful
heinous
beyond the pale
odious
execrable
repugnant
repulsive
revolting
disgusting
horrible
horrid
horrifying
obnoxious
nauseating
offensive
distasteful
vile
base
low
mean
shameful
degrading
ignominious
shabby
miserable
wretched
sorry
scurvy
villainous
ignoble
disreputable
discreditable
unworthy
unscrupulous
unprincipled
unsavory
dirty rotten
lowdown
no-good
beastly
lousy

Last edited:
For the record, my church (Westminster OPC, in California) will have both its usual morning and evening services on December 25th - because it's the Lord's Day. Weird how so many churches have a problem with this, just because it's also Christmas Day.

By the way (in case no one else has pointed it out), the next time Christmas Day falls on a Sunday will be in 2033 - 11 years from now. That year will also be the 2,000th anniversary (more or less) of the death, resurrection, and ascension of our Lord.

Last edited:
Did anyone read the article?

They say they are canceling not because it is Christmas, but because 80% of their congregation is traveling and they are meeting in a rented space which makes it logistically difficult to get things set up, and they came to this difficult decision. But that if their members were in town they definitely would have and attend a service on Christmas.

I'm not saying it's a good reason, but it seems that many (most? all?) in this thread are assuming it's because of Christmas. Now they do say as an aside that they have freedom to meet or not on special Sundays, but they say that isn't the primary reason so...

Last edited:
I find it very curious that "80%" of his congregation will be away on just this one day. However, if that is the case and there was a legitimate impediment to holding the service (practically speaking) then why don't all the "sister churches" (with whom they gather for their "Christmas Eve service") gather together on the 25th, in one location?

If this was wholly due to the practicalities of holding a service on this one day then it is doubly bizarre there would be an article about it. Why go to this length, so publicly, to defend a decision which is supposedly down to logistics? And why argue that the church has the freedom to cancel services on the 25th, even if all practical issues were resolved?

Last edited:
Any in Southeast PA who have their church leadership cancel services and are 1689ers?

Our church Sunday service starts at 10:45 am EST. All are welcome.

Do you think churches which error/sin in this (albeit perhaps significant error/sin) are false churches, likely full of apostates?
You should know the answer to that from the quotations you pulled. If fundamentals are there despite the errors, no. If we're talking like a PCUSA church, far more likely false.

I read some of the article, got sick of it, and fixated on the general principle the author laid down that essentially justifies closing down, logistical problems or no. That poor 20%! I'm with Alexander in his puzzlement on why write such an article.
Did anyone read the article?

They say they are canceling not because it is Christmas, but because 80% of their congregation is traveling and they are meeting in a rented space which makes it logistically difficult to get things set up, and they came to this difficult decision. But that if their members were in town they definitely would have and attend a service on Christmas.

I'm not saying it's a good reason, but it seems that many (most? all?) in this thread are assuming it's because of Christmas. Now they do say as an aside that they have freedom to meet or not on special Sundays, but they say that isn't the primary reason so...

I find it very curious that "80%" of his congregation will be away on just this one day. However, if that is the case and there was a legitimate impediment to holding the service (practically speaking) then why don't all the "sister churches" (with whom they gather for their "Christmas Eve service") gather together on the 25th, in one location?

If this was wholly due to the practicalities of holding a service on this one day then it is doubly bizarre there would be an article about it. Why go to this length, so publicly, to defend a decision which is supposedly down to logistics? And why argue that the church has the freedom to cancel services on the 25th, even if all practical issues were resolved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back