Horton endorses Leithart's latest book..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You Presbyterian brothers sure do like committees, don't you? Why doesn't someone who knows Dr. Horton simply e-mail him and ask the question?

Who here has even read the book?

I have read other non-FV stuff by Leithart so I felt qualified to talk. I probably won't read the book because I am not interested in Pomo right now (although I have a book seller in town, and if the book is under ten dollars, I will read it).

For better or worse, I have read the book (just finished it today). It was interesting. It corrected some misunderstandings I had about postmodernism, and pointed me to some critiques of it that I haven't seen anyone else raise (for instance, pomo lives in sustained anti-climax because while following Marxist categories, it denies a Marxist--or any--eschatology. The end result for a pomo is an eternal dystopia).

I didn't see anything radical in the book. I looked hard for denials of justification by faith, and found none. Likewise, while it was a good book, if that were the only book someone had read by Leithart, it is doubtful they would come to the conclusion, "Wow, I must read everything this guy has written." It was good, but not that good.

Extra thoughts:
The critique of democracy was quite good.
The reading of hebel as vapor, instead of vanity, made better sense of Ecclesiastes. Think: If God is a God of order and meaning, and his universe has meaning because it is his universe, then it seems counter-productive for holy writ to say it is meaningless.

I would give the book 4/5 stars.

Kevin J. Vanhoozer has done excellent work on postmoderinism and its inroads into hermeneutics and meaning. He's a brilliant theologian. :2cents:

Kevin J. Vanhoozer has done excellent work on postmoderinism and its inroads into hermeneutics and meaning. He's a brilliant theologian. :2cents:

I just started reading Vanhoozer and listening to his messages. Very good stuff.

This one's also a good resource.

The Cambridge Companion to Postmodern Theology - Cambridge University Press

It's next on my list.

:offtopic:

Paul,
How many of the "Cambridge Companion" series would you might have? They have always looked interesting but I have never bought one.

I just started reading Vanhoozer and listening to his messages. Very good stuff.

This one's also a good resource.

The Cambridge Companion to Postmodern Theology - Cambridge University Press

It's next on my list.

Paul,
How many of the "Cambridge Companion" series would you might have? They have always looked interesting but I have never bought one.

Only a few. I happen to like the Blackwell Companions and the Oxford Handbooks a lot.

I just started this page a couple months ago, and I'm just getting started loading things on to it, but you can ckeck out some of my books on my good reads site:

Goodreads | Paul's profile

Yes, Dr. Horton has better things to do, and we all have better books to read on both Postmodernism

That begs the question. Perhaps there are other books that we should read on PM, but you can't determine that with your a priori judgments. Why turn down a .44 magnum just because it has a lot of recoil?

Leithart's book Against Christianity was a tour de force against post-liberal theologians Lindbeck and Milbank (men whom the larger scholarly world take seriously). They are not easy reads and even worse, Milbank's challenges to evangelicalism and calvinism, while I think wrong-headed, are not easily dismissed.

EDIT: I say this as someone who probably won't read Leithart's book due to time and money constraints.

It is interesting that the ONE man that Leithart acknowledged as understanding his basic point in "Against Christianity" was John Robbins:

Here are Robbins' thoughts:

Trinity Foundation: Explaining God, man, Bible, salvation, philosophy, theology.

Here's Leithart's response:

Leithart.com | Robbins and <i>Against Christianity</i>

Cheers,

Adam

It's next on my list.

Paul,

Only a few. I happen to like the Blackwell Companions and the Oxford Handbooks a lot.

I just started this page a couple months ago, and I'm just getting started loading things on to it, but you can ckeck out some of my books on my good reads site:

Goodreads | Paul's profile

Thanks Paul!
I am going to have a lot of fun reading the reviews at your site!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back