Horton's debate with Robert Schuller of the Crystal Cathedral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augusta

Puritan Board Doctor
Horton\'s debate with Robert Schuller of the Crystal Cathedral.

This debate just freaked me out because I would have agreed with Robert Schuller about 10 yrs ago. It just really reminded me how whacked in the head I was when I was caught in the penecostal movement. There is one female caller toward the end that just makes you want to :barfy:. The debate can be downloaded for a minimum donation of a $1 at the link below. It is about 55 min. long. The whole White Horse Inn crew were very nice and very patient with him. Lord grant me that kind of patience with my sister.:pray2:

White Horse Inn

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by Augusta]

WOW I hope I can order this on CD Ive been raised on RS who is a former presbyterian if you cant tell by his robes ;) my grandma-mom-uncle (not one person) watch him faithfully.

blade

Actually Blade that transcript you put up is the same interview. It looks like its only partial though. The one you download is the actual interview audio and it is priceless when Schuller whines and tells MH that he didn't know he would lay all these "heavy trips" on him. The "heavy trips" being theological questions.
new_rolleyessmileyanim.gif

I hope we do get some snow. My kids are chomping at the bit for some.:D I also love snow. So we are all :pray2:for some.

This is quite frustrating. Schuller refuses to answer for anything he's written in the past, condescends and cuts off Horton, and gives Horton no chance whatsoever to defend himself when he accuses Horton of misquoting him (among other bad things). Let's not call anyone a sinner... except you, Michael Horton... :p

Was it Horton who said at one point "I'm Presbyterian"? I used to think he was Presbyterian, then I thought he was generally Reformed since he's a member of the CRC. But does he consider himself Presbyterian?

Originally posted by Ex Nihilo
Was it Horton who said at one point "I'm Presbyterian"? I used to think he was Presbyterian, then I thought he was generally Reformed since he's a member of the CRC. But does he consider himself Presbyterian?

Don't know, but Schuller is Reformed...well, you know.

Originally posted by Ivan

But Reformed is not enough. Sorry, couldn't resist that. In this case it does kinda make sense

Originally posted by Draught Horse
Originally posted by Ivan

But Reformed is not enough. Sorry, couldn't resist that. In this case it does kinda make sense

It would be if he really were Reformed.

[/quote] But Reformed is not enough. Sorry, couldn't resist that. In this case it does kinda make sense [/quote]

I didn't mean he is Reformed Reformed, just Reformed! Or maybe it's reformed. :lol:

I don't know how much sense it makes, but the guy is really out there.

It says on the website in "about the hosts" that he is a minister in the United Reformed Churches of North America. I don't understand why all of these reformed churches are popping up when OPC has been reformed forever haven't they? What is the real or perceived lack in the OPC that makes them start new churches instead of going to an OPC?
think.gif

Originally posted by Augusta
It says on the website in "about the hosts" that he is a minister in the United Reformed Churches of North America. I don't understand why all of these reformed churches are popping up when OPC has been reformed forever haven't they? What is the real or perceived lack in the OPC that makes them start new churches instead of going to an OPC?
think.gif

I don't think I've ever heard of the United Reformed Churches of North America, but there were (are) a number of Reformed denominations, such as the Dutch Reformed Church. At one time the UCC were the Evangelical & Reformed Church before they merged with the Congregationalists.

[Edited on 1-8-2005 by Ivan]

I don't think I've ever heard of the United Reformed Churches of North America

URCNA is Mike Horton's denomination, along with R. Scott Clark and Kim Riddlebarger. Just a little FYI

Originally posted by ARStager
I don't think I've ever heard of the United Reformed Churches of North America

URCNA is Mike Horton's denomination, along with R. Scott Clark and Kim Riddlebarger. Just a little FYI

Well, that's interesting. So Horton debated Schuller. Schuller is part of their denomination. Hmmm...doesn't quite make sense to be...BUT...Rick Warren is part of my "denominaton", so before I throw stones.....

I'm consider buying Riddlebarger's book on Amil. Good, right?

I have a massively hard time believing that Schuller's church is in the URCNA. I could be wrong. It's not on the CC website anywhere, but it is listed under presbyterian/reformed lists of churches in CA.

On another note, did anyone hear about the standoff/suicide at the Crystal Cathedral before one of their Christmas concerts? Apparantly the music director flipped out, had an armed standoff with police for hours, and then killed himself...just a few hours before showtime.

Really sad.

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
I think I saw a flake and im not talking schueller :lol:

:lol::lol: Yes we got our prayers answered with an inch or so of snow. The kids are out there playing in it right now.

About Schuller, he was ordained by the Reformed Church in America as is his son Robert Anthony who is to succeed him. He has a Master of Divinity Degree from Western Theological Seminary, both in Holland, Michigan. He just really seems to believe that we have to go ahead and water it all down to cast as wide a net as possible. He plainly states that he does not preach everything in the bible "just because its in the bible doesn't mean you preach it." He says he believes the tulip but he won't preach it. He is just worried about pushing people away even though he seems to understand that you can't push God's chosen away. He seems to have a screwed up idea of what sin is though. His ideas are a little scary.
aahhhhhhhh.gif

Yes, exactly. The interview was astonishing.

Traci: if you want to be all sophistocated and bookish (you may not want to be ;) ) you can put

Post Tenebras, Lux

where you have "After Darkness, Light"

Yes, exactly. The interview was astonishing.

Traci: if you want to be all sophistocated and bookish (you may not want to be ;) ) you can put

Post Tenebras, Lux

where you have "After Darkness, Light"

Are you saying I am not already sophisticated and bookish?:scholar: :D Actually I am not sophisticated at all
raspberry.gif
, I am just a mom who is addicted to theology. :D

Has anyone read the thoughts on the Pslams by Bono? That sounds like it could be intresting. I never understood though, if he is such a Christian, why the lyrics in their music aren't stronger theologically.

Traci:

As someone else pointed out to me, I'm pretty much a poser when it comes to all the sophistocation too---and I'll admit that. I just thought that if you were interested in being a poser like me---you could add that phrase to your accessories :)

Good for you---moms who are addicted to theology are great! I've got one, too...and it's such a blessing to be the child of that sort of mom!

Adam:

I read Bono's thoughts a long time ago---when I was obsessed with U2. Don't remember much though. I think Bono's lyrics are pretty excellent---esp. on Pop and Atomic Bomb--even theologically. They're poetry, though...not theses.

On another note, did anyone hear about the standoff/suicide at the Crystal Cathedral before one of their Christmas concerts? Apparantly the music director flipped out, had an armed standoff with police for hours, and then killed himself...just a few hours before showtime.

Really sad.

I heard about it, but I was unaware that it was the music director. Wonder what brought that on?

Sad, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back