Hosea 1:2

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my study of Hosea and after preaching through the book a few years ago, I do not think that he was told to take a wife who was a harlot but who became a harlot after they were married.

This interpretation fits the text and also fits the illustartion that the book serves to show us of God and His relationship to His people. The nation of Israel as His chosen people were often unfaithful. Read through the prophets and you see the theme of spiritual adultery and the need for repentance and restoration.

Hosea represents God, and Gomer represents His people, who though she/they were unfaithful, he went and bought her back for Himself from the slave market.

There are several really good points of application from the book as we study redemption!

Phillip

Ditto to Pastorway

Whether she was promiscuous or chaste before the marriage is of small consequence to the living-parable that Hosea & Gomer were to illustrate. God told Hosea that the woman he married was going to be unfaithful to him. :eek:

Ouch! How painful is that?
More painful than being told, "The child who is born to you shall die" (2 Sam. 12:14)?
Or, "Set your house in order, for you shall die" (2 Ki. 20:1)? Or "Son of man, behold, I am about to take the delight of your eyes away from you at a stroke; yet you shall not mourn or weep, nor shall your tears run down" (Eze. 24:16)?
We could multiply examples, but God has often given instruction and information that is difficult to accept, has a surface harshness, or an apparent incompatibility with his otherwise revealed will (e.g. Gen 22:2).

[i:889198b375](As an aside, I preached through Hosea as a fresh seminary grad--My advice to all but CHS2? Save long series' on prophetic literature for your seasoned ministry days. Advice I wish someone had given me.)[/i:889198b375] :rolleyes: :wr50:

I'd recommend that all involved get Thomas McComiskey's commentary on Hosea. It is frequently listed as THE BEST commentary on the book (by everyone from Tremper Longman to Dan Block).

I side with his exegetical conclusions.

Or, if you can locate it....Jeremiah Burrough's monstor commentary on Hosea is the best. Soli Deo Gloria had printed it years ago and it is out of print. Its only about 3500 pages. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back