How Bad is Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by NaphtaliPress, Apr 30, 2008.

1. It's Great

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. It's Ok

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. It's bad

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. It's very bad

9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. Get a Mac

17 vote(s)
    30.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

Ok, I've seen so many complaints about it; just how unstable, bad, confusing, hard, etc. is Vista? I just don't think I want to face it on my next PC upgrade.

2. Casey

Casey Puritan Board Junior

Never used it. I ditched Microsoft years ago.

3. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

My only problem is that it runs slow.

4. Simply_Nikki

Simply_Nikki Puritan Board Junior

Where's the option "Vista is the Devil!" :think:

:lol:

5. DMcFadden

DMcFadden Puritan Board Doctor

Chris,

I have used it for several months now. Some people love it and swear by it; the rest of us swear at it.

Much of it is intuitive and easy enough to follow. They have added some functionality in the multi-media area, rearranged some old things I was used to in XP, and made some things more irritating (e.g., the constant confirmation of every single step to be taken in some operations. I am just about frustrated enough to apostasize to Mac on my next computer purchase.

6. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

My Dad bought a laptop from Dell with Vista on it. I am greatly disappointed. We have had nothing but issues with it and peripherals.

Problems with Vista. Not the puter.

7. NaphtaliPress

NaphtaliPress Administrator Staff Member

That's the same as the "Get a Mac" option.:lol:

8. Poimen

Poimen Puritan Board Post-Graduate

It does run slow at times mainly because of (as far as I can see) all the eye candy.

Otherwise I am fairly happy with it.

9. Answerman

Answerman Puritan Board Sophomore

I bought a cheap laptop with vista installed last year and it is very slow. I don't really use the laptop much, so I can't comment on it's features but if you have a faster setup, it might not be bad. I have had no stability problems.

10. fredtgreco

fredtgreco Vanilla Westminsterian Staff Member

Windows Security Center --> Other Security Settings

Disable User Account Control

Never worry about prompts again.

11. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

12. Answerman

Answerman Puritan Board Sophomore

I haven't tried any of these tweaks yet but they might be helpful for those of you where Vista is slowing things down.

PC World - Business Center: How to Speed Up Windows Vista

If you try any of these and find they work, please report back on the tweaks that seemed to work the best for your system.

13. jambo

jambo Puritan Board Senior

I have had Vista now on my new PC since Feb last year. I have no complaints and think its great although admittedly during the first couple of months some programmes such as my normal anit-virus and anti-spyware wouldn't work and had to use another type. If it is running slow perhaps its because Vista was installed over XP or whatever and other factors are slowing it down. On my previous PC I upgraded Windows 98 to XP and it was never the same as new PCs with XP installed from the start.

14. ModernPuritan?

ModernPuritan? Puritan Board Freshman

vista can work like a charm, you have got to train it though.

Id suggest surfing around majorgeeks.com for help on making vista work. (pro pc)
    go to macrumors.com to get a balance pro mac side

games may become vista only(on the pc side)
    I would simply advise you to look at macs very closely, they are completely different, but easy to learn. so i voted get a mac.

there is a way to get about $300 off brand new macs from apple. If you want i can direct you to the info needed to do it. Its not illegal, or unethical its just off the beaten path, hence ill share it in PMs only.

15. Richard King

Richard King Puritan Board Senior

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  16. ReformedWretch

ReformedWretch Puritan Board Doctor

It's Windows ME all over again.

17. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

Vista does need to be trained. I am no geek. But the book Hacking Windows Vista, by Steve Sinchak, takes you step by step (and I mean every step; that's why the book is absolutely brilliant for non-geeks!) through all the steps you need to go through to get Vista zipping along at a great speed, and not only that, it will speed up your browser. I really like Vista. But you have to train it. It takes about 4-6 hours to go through Sinchak's book and speed up the machine. I am convinced that if everyone bought that book and went through the whole bit, step by step, there would be considerably less frustration with Vista.

18. Herald

Herald Administrator Staff Member

I have Vista and it runs extremely fast. But I also have 4 GB of memory. Vista is a memory hog. 2 GB is a bare minimum. 4 GB is preferred.

19. Presbyterian Deacon

Presbyterian Deacon Puritan Board Graduate

Yuck!

I downgraded to XP after three weeks of frustration!

:mad::flamingscot:

20. shackleton

shackleton Puritan Board Junior

I hated it at first because of all the security, the constant asking for verification having to type in a password every few seconds but I figured out how to shut that off so now I have gotten used to it.

The thing I don't like is that after about 2 years of it being out a lot of things still are not Vista compatible. I had to go back and repurchase some programs and had to just let some go because it was getting expensive.

I have heard programmers say that it is a real pain to work with. My wife says the Tech guys where she works absolutely hate trying to do anything with it. Unless you want to go for a Mac, this is what we are stuck with. Or squeeze more life out of your old computer.

21. historyb

historyb Puritan Board Junior

I had customers with Vista that wanted to downgrade. I myself use PCLinuxOS best little Linux distro out there In my humble opinion.

22. Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis 2 Timothy 2:24-25 Staff Member

I like it for many of the features it has. Organizing files and its Media Center are both great pluses for me. I've been running Vista since it was Beta and I'm happy with it.

23. regener8ed

regener8ed Puritan Board Freshman

I like it too. You just need a beefy machine to run it smoothly. I disagree about the windows "me" thing. I am a computer technician by trade and Vista is FAR superior to what windows me ever was.

24. fredtgreco

RAM is also very cheap nowadays. I am running 4GB as well. I got 4GB from CompUsa for like $40 after rebate.

25. toddpedlar

toddpedlar Iron Dramatist Staff Member

I bet if you go to Microsoft.com, they'll direct you to an online store they have and sell you peripherals that will work with Vista...

26. Presbyterian Deacon

Presbyterian Deacon Puritan Board Graduate

That's the problem. Why should you have to buy something else to get your OS to work? Shouldn't a good product work properly "out of the box?"
    :2cents:

27. fredtgreco

I know. The nerve of a company. I could not imagine a company that would expect you to buy all your hardware from them. That would be like expecting you to buy all their software from them. It would be like expecting you to buy all their products, with their logo on everything. They might even have the nerve to "lock out" third party vendors so that you were virtually forbidden from using a non-monopolistic product. A company that draconian might actually force people to invent a way to "unlock" their product that would involve canceling the warranty, hours and hours of work, so much work in fact that it would become national news.

Bad, bad, company. :eek:

28. Herald

Herald Administrator Staff Member

I have to chuckle at the expense of Mac owners. Macs are great machines. They out perform Windows machines hands down. But they are the opposite end of the same coin. Microsoft and Apple are both monopolies. Apple is worse than Microsoft. As Fred said, they have everything locked down. You have to bow down to and pay homage to Steve Jobs. Mac users are like cultists; they follow the Mac company line dutifully. Hey, come to think of it so do Windows users.

29. Timothy William

Timothy William Puritan Board Junior

Fred Greco - exactly, and I'm always amused when Mac devotees complain about MicroSoft being a Big Horrible Monopolist, when Apple really does do all the things that anti-trust regulators accuse MS of doing, like forcing users to use other Apple products (eg. hardware) if they want to use Mac OS.

30. Blueridge Believer

Blueridge Believer Puritan Board Professor

Overall it's been OK on my daughters new laptop. It takes forever to do a defrag. I have XP on my desktop. Like it much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.