How big is your library?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Draught Horse
Since we have many readers on board, I thought this would be a good question.

Secondly,
How did you go about obtaining your library?

Thirdly,
What is the best means of gaining a sizable libary with limited resources?

1. Somewhere around 500 I'm guessing, with maybe 300 theological and the rest historical/political/literary. Almost all of the theological books are useful, but most of them are by contemporary authors. I need to add more older books by Reformed and Puritan authors; most of what I have now are Puritan Paperbacks, along with a few SDG books. I have a lot of MacArthur, Sproul, Lutzer, Piper, and Spurgeon, among others.

I also have at least a couple hundred sermons on tape, maybe more.

2. Used bookstores for most of the historical/political stuff, (in Baton Rouge when I lived there, not Central La.--but the best one there was driven out of business by Barnes & Noble). Many of the Puritan and Banner titles were purchased several years ago from a locally owned store that was changing locations and put everything at least 40% off. I was carrying books out by the box load. Jacob, Mr. Davis had a lot more Reformed stuff at the old downtown store. Problem was, a lot of them had been on the shelves for years and it was even harder to find what you were looking for there since the store was much larger.

I haven't done much online shopping, but that's about to change since I basically don't have any choice.

3. Used bookstores (whether online or brick and mortar), Ebay (sometimes). If you're in a university town, you can probably amass a lot of used books in a hurry if you're willing to spend the time looking.

How's the book hunting in Jackson, Jacob?

Originally posted by Pilgrim

Not bad. Steven Wright does an excellent job in keeping good stuff on the shelf, and his prices are competitve. Then there is Barnes and Noble--their prices aren't too great but they have an excellent selection.

Lord willing I should be at Pineville Pres sunday morning (not preaching, though).

Not bad. Steven Wright does an excellent job in keeping good stuff on the shelf, and his prices are competitve. Then there is Barnes and Noble--their prices aren't too great but they have an excellent selection.

Lord willing I should be at Pineville Pres sunday morning (not preaching, though).

Who's Steven Wright? Is that the RTS bookstore? Have you been to any used bookstores there yet?

The Barnes and Noble in Baton Rouge is awful (I can't remember if I've been in the Laf. one). Unless things have changed recently, they probably have more occultic and pagan books than Christian books, and their selection of Christian books leaves a lot to be desired. Now, I've been generally pleased with Books A Million, both in Alexandria and elsewhere and have probably bought more books there than at Lifeway. When in Phoenix last month, I was pleasantly surprised by the selection in a Borders.

You still coming to Pineville Sunday? According to current projections, Rita will be blowing through here Saturday with up to 50 mph gusts. Inland Tropical Storm warning here.

Who's Steven Wright? Is that the RTS bookstore? Have you been to any used bookstores there yet?

The Barnes and Noble in Baton Rouge is awful (I can't remember if I've been in the Laf. one). Unless things have changed recently, they probably have more occultic and pagan books than Christian books, and their selection of Christian books leaves a lot to be desired. Now, I've been generally pleased with Books A Million, both in Alexandria and elsewhere and have probably bought more books there than at Lifeway. When in Phoenix last month, I was pleasantly surprised by the selection in a Borders.

You still coming to Pineville Sunday? According to current projections, Rita will be blowing through here Saturday with up to 50 mph gusts. Inland Tropical Storm warning here.

Yes, Steven Wright is the bookstore manager. No, I am not coming to Pineville this weekend because of the hurricane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back