How can we trust the Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney

Puritan Board Freshman
I trust the Bible completely as God's inerrant, infallible revelation of Himself to man and believe God has brought together the bible and preserved it.
A chap at church is not so sure. He also is questioning what day the Christian Sabbath should be.
I've tried my best to tell what the Reformed faith believes about these things.
Are there any concise helps that I could use or give to him?
Anything in the creeds or confessions?

Are there any short books about how the Bible was brought together in the early church?

I trust the Bible completely as God's inerrant, infallible revelation of Himself to man and believe God has brought together the bible and preserved it.
A chap at church is not so sure. He also is questioning what day the Christian Sabbath should be.
I've tried my best to tell what the Reformed faith believes about these things.
Are there any concise helps that I could use or give to him?
Anything in the creeds or confessions?

These are two different issues. One pertains to the reliability of the Bible as a whole (the quality or character of scripture) and the other is concerning the application of the fourth commandment. So perhaps you could clarify if he really is questioning whether the Bible is inspired or if he is simply misled about the day of Christian worship.

Last edited:
Are there any short books about how the Bible was brought together in the early church?
Canon Revisited: Establishing the Origins and Authority of the New Testament Books by Michael J. Kruger is an excellent book that addresses that question from a Reformed perspective. It's been awhile since I read it, but I remember it being one of the best books I read during seminary but it's also not overly academic.

As Zach said the book by Michael Kruger. Kruger is the guru on this stuff, he has a website with lectures and articles called cannon fodder. Well worth it.

I'd recommend Kruger's shorter The Question of Canon first! I think it is easier to read, and hits the major questions about / objections to canon.

For inerrancy specifically (a different question than canon), you can't beat Warfield. RTS last I knew uses Words of Life by Timothy Ward. I think it might be the best modern introductory book to the doctrine of Scripture that I know of.

Hodge has an interesting outline in the first bit of The Way of Life about Scripture, and a case for its inspiration.

For the Sabbath: there is the short book on the Sabbath by Thomas Witherow included in I Will Build My Church. Witherow is extremely accessible, and I think compelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back