How do errors spring up so easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think maybe the Reformed churches are not depending on God sometimes? I hear people speak about "trusting the process" and being confessional, in a way that seems to rely on normal means of grace but not God who works through those things. Some folks talk like if they just have word and sacrament everything will be OK.

The Holy Spirit is God. I know people that go blank if you talk about the Holy Spirit and praying for the Holy Spirit to move. The Holy Spirit teaches us and convicts us, and I am with Iain Murray when he says we didn't get it all at conversion and we all need more, and we all need to be praying for revival that God will pour out his Holy Spirit.

Some people are so afraid of charismatic error that its like you can't even mention the Holy Spirit. But it has to be both--the sound doctrine together with the Holy Spirit working. I wish prayer meetings had more petitions for God to pour out the Holy Spirit in church and move in our hearts and minds.

Last edited by a moderator:
In another of his works, Sibbes provides additional answers to our question:

. . .This should teach us to labour for sincerity, to have our hearts upright towards God; and then he will send us men of a direct and right spirit, that shall teach us according to his own heart. But if we be false-hearted, God will give us teachers that shall teach us, not according to his will, but to please our own. We shall light upon belly-gods and epicures, and shall fall into the hands of priests and Jesuits. Where such are, there are the judgments of God upon the people, because they do not desire to know the will of God in truth. We see, Ezek. xiv. 3, 4, the people desired to have a stumblingblock for their iniquity. They were naught, and would have idols. Therefore they desired stumblingblocks. They would have false prophets, that so they might go to hell with some authority. Well, saith God, they shall have stumblingblocks: for thus saith the Lord God of Israel, 'To every man that setteth up his idols in his heart, and putteth the stumblingblocks of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to the prophet to inquire; I the Lord will answer him that cometh, according to the multitude of his idols; according to his own false heart, and not according to good.'

["Josiah's Reformation", Works, vi.30]

Wayne,

Just to back up Sibbes a bit, Romans 1 seems to say that part of their punishment and judgment is that God gave them over to...

(Rom 1:25) Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

(Rom 1:26) For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections:...

(Rom 1:28) And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back