How do I counsel those who claim to be born homosexual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you counsel a Christian who claims that he was born a homosexual? I would like to know your thoughts. Thank you.

Welcome to the Puritanboard! Can you please fix your signature? Just click on the link in my own signature to learn how.

Our affections and desires fell in Adam. We are each pre-disposed to different things. But the Law exists in spite of our feelings; in fact, it serves to show the depravity of our affections and tell us what is objectively right or wrong.
I was born a sinner, but sinning is wrong.
He was born pre-disposed to homosexuality, but that is wrong as well.
A Christian knows that while the guilt of his sins is taken away, there is still a lifelong war to be waged against remaining sin.
The Bible is full of encouragement for that struggle.

I deleted have merged with the duplicate thread with the more explicit subject line and have moved this to the Law of God forum since we don't have a general counseling forum. N.B. Please be sure to only start a single thread for your topic. Also, peppering the board with multiple threads such as you have done upon freshly joining is likely going to mean some are overlooked. Just a word to the wise in future.

1 Cor. 6:9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Even if this man was born homosexual, he can change.

We were all born fallen and totally depraved regardless of where you fall on the whole "born this way" argument. Personally, I don't think that anyone is born homosexual since the Bible says the sin is unnatural. But let's say for the sake of argument someone actually is born gay. It doesn't matter, the Bible calls us to repent of our sin, not identify with it. Should we identify as lustful Christians, drunk Christians, adulterous Christians? I think all would agree on no. Why would the sin of homosexuality be any different? The poster above me has already given the primary verse to go to so I will not repeat. The key phrase is "SUCH WERE SOME OF YOU". There are no textual variants with this verse, it is always the past tense. It will never say "such are some of you" as so many advocates for sodomy try and argue these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back