How do I dispose of a heretical study bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FedByRavens

Puritan Board Freshman
I just recently ordered the free Recovery New Testament that is advertised all over the internet. As soon as i clicked send i realized it was published by a cult called "The Local Church." They follow the teachings of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee, which taught all of Christianity was apostate except for them, that Christ wasn't fully God and fully man but a mixture of the two, and some sort of tweaked modulism. I just got it in the mail two days ago and I haven't even opened it yet. I want to throw it away but my conscience won't let me. I thought about giving it to the discount book store but I'm not going to allow heresy into the hands of unsuspecting souls. What do I do with this? Could I just throw it away?:doh:

Slice out the heretical parts and burn them, then leave the rest in a drawer in a hotel.

Why not mark it as heresy with some sort of label and save it for a time when you can read it and properly critique it. The only reason I said label it is so no one takes it off your shelf thinking its safe.

Last edited:
Keep it. As a person who is into academia, it's always nice to be able to point to your bookshelf if someone asks for proof if its a cult rather than just give them your word. If the foundation for their beliefs is present as written proof, its far easier to debunk.

There's nothing wrong with knowing what's going on with both sides of the spectrum. However, if your conscious will not permit you to do this, I would simply use it as a starter for your next bonfire.

I ordered that one, too. It's on a special bookshelf in my study with the other heretical writings I own (strictly for reference purposes). And I wrote on the side with a blue marker: "Heretical. Reference copy only."

If you decide not to keep it, you can donate it here to the PCA Historical Center, where it would be available for academic research.

It would be placed with the Wes Walters Collection, which focuses on Mormonism and other groups: Wesley P. Walters Collection - Index

[I'm currently processing this collection, much of the collection still needs arrangement and description.]

I think Walters even did some research on the Local Church group.

There's nothing wrong with throwing it away if that's what you want to do. Bibles without bad commentary are plentiful in your corner of the world, so to get rid of a bad one is no waste. Neither is it disrespect to God's Word. The Word lives on even if particular printed copies go to waste, and your intent in getting rid of it is to honor the Word and keep it pure.

Godly counsel is priceless.Wow, I'm blessed by every one of you. I'm glad that you all shared your time with me. I'm humbled, because often I treat my own advice as though it's sufficient to guide me, and that's where I err. Psalm 13:2 How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? Proverbs 11:14 Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety. :pilgrim:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back