How do I stop procrastinating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braden

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm currently studying to become an accountant or an economist (not 100% sure yet) but I keep running into this issue: I can't stop procrastinating.

I know that we're supposed to do everything our hands find to do with all our might, but does anyone have any practical tips for doing this?

Thanks.

I battle this nearly every day. At the end of most days I find I've done a lot of work.

My approach is to pick up the most distasteful task that I've been dreading, break it into manageable parts, and do the part of that I dread the most. For me it is returning phone calls. I sometimes have 40-50 voicemails, especially if I've been occupied in court. So I spend 1-3 minutes on each call. Two hours of exhaustion--except I now have ideas and reminders on how to get through those other dreaded tasks.

Once you blast through whatever is blocking you, it almost becomes fun to press on.

I think what leads to procrastination is worrying about how to do something. Dive in to a portion that you know how to handle and get a flow started. It's like a boat--if you aren't moving the rudder won't steer. Once you start moving, steering becomes easy.

Others suggest starting with the easy stuff. I don't find that to work for me very well. Start with the hard stuff. When you make a little progress you might find your attitude saying "I can do this!"

Seriously, I've been doing what I do for nearly 3 decades and I still often start the day thinking, "how do I handle this?" That's paralysis unless you come up with an answer by breaking things into subparts or subroutines.

If you do hit a mental block and feel like just vegging out on cat videos, it's time for your imaginary drill sergeant to come out and order you to do pushups. (I'm not kidding--I do pushups when I get discouraged). It gets the blood flowing and frames your attitude.

(I notice I used "you" and "your" a lot here. That's me talking to me.)

Anyway, I have to get back to work....

Are you enrolled somewhere that imposes deadlines and due dates, with real consequences if you fail to meet them? Generally, a procrastinator's best friend is a firm deadline.

Do the hardest task first. Don't do anything else until that task is finished. Get a wind up clock if you need breaks and don't take a break until an hour or two when the bell rings. Turn off all beeps, bloops and rings from devices.

(I stopped my task of writing about my tribe to answer this PB post....do as I say, not as I do)....

Braden,

What Mr. Bravo and Perg said...not necessarily in that order.

I can affirm that hitting the hardest tasks first has been one of the most effective strategies against procrastinating tendencies for me. Some other things you might find helpful…

-Figure out a way to give yourself small rewards for tasks completed throughout the day. These rewards could be the right to eat lunch, or take a small break to read the scriptures or do something that gets your mind off the numbers.

-If you are mostly sedentary, hop off the computer and onto the floor for some push-ups, squats or wall-sits. Keeps the blood flowing so you won’t get bored, makes the time go by a bit faster, and condenses your time into ordered frames so that, as Jack said, you have to be more productive in a shorter, deadline-driven amount of time.

-You’re not a robot, so schedule your breaks accordingly, and try to make sure your water consumption and diet are as steady as they can be. An enemy to urgency can also be a lack of energy. Depending on what type of work you do, brisk walks, nooners and power-nap breaks could be a gift from the Lord.

Just my two cents…

I can't stop procrastinating.

I know that we're supposed to do everything our hands find to do with all our might, but does anyone have any practical tips for doing this?

Thanks.

Procrastination is a surface issue and is not random. There's a much deeper issue below the surface with which you would do well to address. I would encourage you to find a mature elder or older brother to disciple you. Someone that can explore what you are getting from procrastination and why you keep going there.

Blessings to you,
Ryan

I battle this nearly every day. At the end of most days I find I've done a lot of work.

My approach is to pick up the most distasteful task that I've been dreading, break it into manageable parts, and do the part of that I dread the most. For me it is returning phone calls. I sometimes have 40-50 voicemails, especially if I've been occupied in court. So I spend 1-3 minutes on each call. Two hours of exhaustion--except I now have ideas and reminders on how to get through those other dreaded tasks.

Once you blast through whatever is blocking you, it almost becomes fun to press on.

I think what leads to procrastination is worrying about how to do something. Dive in to a portion that you know how to handle and get a flow started. It's like a boat--if you aren't moving the rudder won't steer. Once you start moving, steering becomes easy.

Others suggest starting with the easy stuff. I don't find that to work for me very well. Start with the hard stuff. When you make a little progress you might find your attitude saying "I can do this!"

Seriously, I've been doing what I do for nearly 3 decades and I still often start the day thinking, "how do I handle this?" That's paralysis unless you come up with an answer by breaking things into subparts or subroutines.

If you do hit a mental block and feel like just vegging out on cat videos, it's time for your imaginary drill sergeant to come out and order you to do pushups. (I'm not kidding--I do pushups when I get discouraged). It gets the blood flowing and frames your attitude.

(I notice I used "you" and "your" a lot here. That's me talking to me.)

Anyway, I have to get back to work....
Man what kind of lifestyle you that always in court . I tried to do a smiley face but it didn't work.

I'm currently studying to become an accountant or an economist (not 100% sure yet) but I keep running into this issue: I can't stop procrastinating.

Thanks.
<first a joke ... please take it not seriously>
I see the problem right away! You are a credo baptist! Stop putting off baptism of covenant children and your problem will be solved!
<end joke ... please don't shoot me!>

Probably the best way to put off procrastination is to do what I absolutely hate doing. Schedule everything. That means if you know you have to do something, you put it into the list of tasks. You rate it as to importance. If it has a deadline to complete, then you figure out how long it takes and back the last start time for the task that allows completion on time. If it is on the list, and is the highest priority, you start it even if it isn't the last possible start time. In fact, that is kinda how you can make sure you don't procrastinate.

Don't let the planning bog you down either. No more than 10 - 15 minutes a day and do the planning *every* day.

For recurring tasks you have to have them on the list as well. It does no good to do the things that are non-recurring and neglect what is continual duty. If they must be done every day, they are critical. After you know what the high priority tasks are for a day, calculate how much time you have for each. If a task is too large to finish on a day, break it into smaller tasks.

Now the hard part. What I have outlined is a method that can work if the problem is strictly practical. The problem is that for some, the problem is not practical it is emotional/spiritual. In that case, you need to deal with the problem on an emotional level (for emotional problems) and *always* consider it might be a spiritual problem (can we say "sloth" ... yes we can!) If it is spiritual, you repent, and likely have someone that will hold you accountable. It does no good to have the best method if the real problem is being lazy. If you are procrastinating because of emotional baggage you need to find out what that baggage is and very likely get rid of it if it is morally appropriate to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back