How do we trust God from our mother's breasts if we are cognitively undeveloped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Psalm 22:9: "Yet You brought me out of the womb; You made me trust in You even at my mother's breast."

I don't have an answer, but I'm guessing from the following that God has His ways with these folks. I think this Scripture you quoted came from the 22nd Psalm, which is about Christ, who was not brain-damaged or cognitively-challenged in any way, as it would have interfered with His mission.

Westminster Confession of Faith, Ch 10, 3
Elect infants, dying in infancy, are regenerated, and saved by Christ, through the Spirit, who works when, and where, and how He pleases: so also are all other elect persons who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.

Define "trust"

Personally I see an infant at the breast who is in complete reliance upon God (trust) as a very, very good example of trusting in God...as opposed to fully cognitive men who rely on and trust in themselves more often then not.

I think the Psalmist thought that was a good example of trust too.

That God brought you out of the womb is not something you recognize at the time, but is still true. That suggests one possibility: looking back he could see that God had been working in him even at stage. There is another possibility, that it expresses "from as far back as I can remember". The case of Samuel suggests that children maybe were not weaned at a year or less as is common among us. But of course that possibility raises the never-to-be-dismissed possibility of infant regeneration.

Does this mean that someone can be saved without knowledge of right doctrine then? What? Never heard of the Trinity, no problem?

Does this mean that someone can be saved without knowledge of right doctrine then? What? Never heard of the Trinity, no problem?

I've asked the same question many times. If God knows a person is elect from before the foundation of the world, then he was God's before he was born. At what point can he be called a believer? I don't know.

If a person is God's eventually, the Spirit of God will open his eyes to the truth. Do I believe that can happen from conception? Yes, I do.

Does this mean that someone can be saved without knowledge of right doctrine then?
You either believe the WCF section that Meg posted or you don't. My 11 year old has Down's Syndrome, and there's no way he can understand the Trinity. He can't even count to 10. How much do you want him to believe before Christ can love him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back