How do you describe your carbonated beverage?

Your slang for your carbonated beverage of choice

• Pop

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Soda

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Cola

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Coke

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Soda-Pop

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MLCOPE2

Puritan Board Junior
My wife and I, ever since we met, have been in constant disagreement over the proper "slang" term to describe our carbonated beverage of choice (brew's excluded). I say "pop" and she says "soda". Recognizing the wide range of choices I decided to bring it to the PB in order to get the consensus both nationally and internationally.

So what say ye? Soda? Pop? Cola? Coke? Soda-Pop???

I'd also like to see a theological argument in favor of "pop". :think: If you can think of one I would be much obliged. (obviously as a well meaning joke not meant to be taken seriously)

Here in Nor Cal, I have heard almost exclusively "soda," unless someone actually wants a Coke (as opposed to Sprite, Pepsi, etc). Every once in a while an old person says "pop" or "soda-pop," but it's rare.

Pop--carbonated & flavored (usually sweetened) beverage.
Cola--dark-colored pop (i.e., Coke, Pepsi)
Soda(or "soda pop")--light-colored pop (i.e., Sprite, Mtn Dew)

Pop--carbonated & flavored (usually sweetened) beverage.
Cola--dark-colored pop (i.e., Coke, Pepsi)
Soda(or "soda pop")--light-colored pop (i.e., Sprite, Mtn Dew)

I didn't take into consideration the possibility of multiple answers. I now know that I should have. :lol:

I say "soda" though growing up it was either "Coke" (regardless of whether it was, indeed, Coke) or "cold drink." Looking back I am not sure how "cold drink" was distinguished from, say, iced tea which was, of course, a cold drink. Yet we were asked: would you like some tea, or a cold drink? As it was a fundy culture, there was never any danger of "cold drink" meaning beer. :cheers2:

Here in Nor Cal, I have heard almost exclusively "soda," unless someone actually wants a Coke (as opposed to Sprite, Pepsi, etc). Every once in a while an old person says "pop" or "soda-pop," but it's rare.

I'm with Andrew. "pop" and "soda-pop" are what the old folks say.

Coke.

It's like Kleenex, Band-Aid, Frisbee, Thermos, etc. Yes, it's a specific brand and type of beverage, but it's also a generic term.

Pretty much along the northern tier from the Great Lakes to the West Coast, it's "pop."

The Pop vs. Soda Page

That's great! :lol:

And, it supports my argument--"People who say "Pop" are much, much cooler."

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

ROFL!

"Historically, the correct term is 'phosphate', which was defined by soda jerks as being a flavored syrup mixed with carbonated water. 'Soda's were what we today call floats. Therefore Soda is clearly WRONG and pop is more acceptable as a shortening of phosphate." -- From a comment in the "other" list. :D

Pretty much along the northern tier from the Great Lakes to the West Coast, it's "pop."

The Pop vs. Soda Page

That's great! :lol:

And, it supports my argument--"People who say "Pop" are much, much cooler."

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

ROFL!

"Historically, the correct term is 'phosphate', which was defined by soda jerks as being a flavored syrup mixed with carbonated water. 'Soda's were what we today call floats. Therefore Soda is clearly WRONG and pop is more acceptable as a shortening of phosphate." -- From a comment in the "other" list. :D

That's all I needed (Mods you can close the thread now)

Just kidding!!!

Down here it's pretty much "Coke" regardless, though one sometimes hears "soda" or "cold drink."

Several years ago I taught for one year in Iowa. As a native Southerner, I still remember spending 10 minutes during our first trip to the grocery store trying to find the aisle with Coke, soda, or whatever, to no avail...until I realized that in Iowa, the word I was looking for was "Pop." Sure enough, there was an aisle labeled "Pop." I bought at least a couple of kinds of "Coke" there.

Speaking of "cold drinks," has anyone else noticed that in the South we have "sweet tea" and "unsweet tea," but never just "tea?"

Coke.

Be careful in New England. There are some places where 'pop' is not able to be sold to those under 21. :) It is something that is made from barley, yeast, water, and hops.

Coke, regardless of what brand it actually is, as others have said--to the point that I prefer Pepsi but use Coke generically, as Andrew mentioned.

I've heard that "pop" is a northern thing and "soda water" or "coke" a southern thing. Almost everyone here (Texas) says "soda" or "coke" generically (more the former), but I have heard some very southern people say "soda water." Having spent most of my life in the south, I've never heard anyone say "pop." Even when I lived in Maryland I don't recall hearing it.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

You need to add "soda water" to the poll.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

I just got a good laugh reading the "other" breakdown for Texas. Check it out: Pop vs. Soda Stats

I've heard that "pop" is a northern thing and "soda water" or "coke" a southern thing. Almost everyone here (Texas) says "soda" or "coke" generically (more the former), but I have heard some very southern people say "soda water." Having spent most of my life in the south, I've never heard anyone say "pop." Even when I lived in Maryland I don't recall hearing it.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

You need to add "soda water" to the poll.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

I just got a good laugh reading the "other" breakdown for Texas. Check it out: Pop vs. Soda Stats

I guess I also should have put "I'M ON A BOAT I'M ON A BOAT I'M ON A BOAT" :lol:

In South Africa, it is "cool drink".

"Diet coke" is "coke light".

Cream soda here is green.

SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA SODA

Being in Ohio where everyone else says "pop" is burdensome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back