How do you explain the concept of Christ as common person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas_Goodwin

Puritan Board Freshman
I can understand it with my mind better than express it with my tongue. The concept is biblical and appears many times in scripture, perhaps most clearly in Romans 6. I read Thomas Goodwin's work and he does a good job explaining it, however, I have great difficulty communicating this concept to other believers.

Thomas Goodwin writes of this:
(3.) Just thus the matter stands in the point of our justification and salvation between Christ and elect believers; for Adam was herein his type. Christ was considered and appointed of God as a common person, both in what he did and in what was done to him. So as by the same law, what he did for us is reckoned or imputed to us, as if we ourselves had done it; and what was done to him, tending to our justification and salvation, is reckoned as done to us. Thus when Christ died, he died as a common person, and God reckons that we died also. When Christ arose, he rose as our head, and as a common person, and so then God accounts that we rose also with him. And by virtue of that communion which we had with him in all those actions of his, it is that now when we are born again, we do all rise both from the guilt of sin and from the power of it, even as by virtue of the like communion we had with (or being one in) Adam, we come to be made sinful, when we begin first to exist as men and to be first born.

Expanding a little: the king of kings was not born into royalty. Isaiah predicted he would be despised and rejected. Nothing comely about him to cause people notice him. And so forth.

He came as a common person without any particular background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back