How does the aseity of the Son line up with His eternal Begotten-ness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Looking for quotes, links, articles about how the aseity of the Son lines up with his eternal begottenn-ness and how the two things are not mutually exclusive truths.

In Revelation 21:6 God the Father states about Himself: “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning [arche] and the end.”

BUT...Jesus says the very same thing of Himself in Revelation 22:13: “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning [arche] and the end.” Revelation 22:16 identifies the speaker as Jesus. In Revelation 22:12 and 22:20, Jesus says He is coming “quickly,” as indicated by 22:20: “come, Lord Jesus” (cf. Matt 16:27).

The Father and Son are also both called “the first and the last” (cf. Is 44:6 and Rev 1:17; 22:13).

Also, a 2nd question: some theologians speak of the Monarchia. Do they mean the Monarchia of the Person of the Father, or of the whole Being? And if only the Father, how does this effect the ontological co-equality of all the Persons?

Thanks.

I second the recommendation of Turretin. The basic answer is that aseity is an attribute of the essence which is the same in all the persons, whilst the eternal generation terminates on the person as a personal property unique to the Son.

Looking for quotes, links, articles about how the aseity of the Son lines up with his eternal begottenn-ness and how the two things are not mutually exclusive truths.

If you have Turretin's Institutes, there is a helpful discussion there. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can type out a few pertinent quotations for you.

I don't have Turretin's Institutes of Elanctic Theology. On Amazon all the prices are sky-high. Is there a cheaper way to buy these? And what volume and where do I find this particular discussion?

Or just buy the relevant volume(s) one at a time. Yeah, overall it is cheaper to buy all three at once, but sometimes that's not feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back