How Healthy is Reminiscing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
I find a lot of comfort and joy reflecting back on innocent and happy times in life. It seems to be a source foundation, security, and comfort in this ever changing life. Is this a blessing from God and a healthy practice? I find that it leads me closer to God. I just don't want to be deceived.

Say not, “Why were the former days better than these?” For it is not from wisdom that you ask this.

Our best days are ahead of us as Christians!

Say not, “Why were the former days better than these?” For it is not from wisdom that you ask this.

Our best days are ahead of us as Christians!
Amen brother. I ponder heaven on a regular basis with great excitement. But does that mean it's wrong to look back as well?

It is not wrong. But there are risks.

If I look back on my former health, I grow discontent knowing I will never again be that healthy. If I look back on my former sins, I grow ashamed. If I look back on former wrongs done to me, I grow angry.

Sometimes even if I look back on past cute things my kids have done, I can grow depressed at how quickly they've grown.

Right now I have been battling insomnia that started with extreme pain due to tropical illness, but this insomnia often them falls upon me in a cloud of past regrets or mental clouds of good/bad nostalgia. Once Mr. Pain has got me disorted, he then calls his friends Mr. Regret and Mrs. Mental Burden to harangue me as well.

While I'm sure a sinful reaction would be to long for days past, it is hard for me to see why remembering the blessings and goodness of God would be a bad thing. There are lots of admonitions in Scripture to "remember" or to not "forget". The Psalms are often reminding ourselves of how good God is.

Psalm 103:2 in the Scottish Psalter

Bless, O my soul, the Lord thy God,
and not forgetful be
Of all his gracious benefits
he hath bestow'd on thee.

If we call it reflection with a contented heart, instead of a rehashing of old regrets, it is a blessing.

"Ecc 5:18 Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.
Ecc 5:19 Every man also to whom God hath given riches and wealth, and hath given him power to eat thereof, and to take his portion, and to rejoice in his labour; this is the gift of God.
Ecc 5:20 For he shall not much remember the days of his life; because God answereth him in the joy of his heart."

God gives blessing, calls us to rejoice in our labors, and reminds us to "listen" for God's work in us. That leads to forgetting those nagging regrets and "if onlys."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back