how is the quality of baker's calvin commentaries set

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelGao

Puritan Board Freshman
I am thinking of getting a set when it is on a special.

But I can't seem to find a picture of what the actual pages looks like inside.

Are the font size ok? Is it in a nice reading font style?

I read on a site that Galatians to Philemon is all bunched up in one volume of about 400 pages. That seems quite extreme. Makes me think the font is going to be tiny.

Also how is the translation? I've been reading the ones on esword and ccel, they seem user friendly (except lots of greek isn't translated). So if the print translations are similar thats good.

Maybe if someone can link to some pictures available of what the pages look like inside, that would be very helpful.:up:

I am not sure if there is a picture available on the internet, but the font is rather small and looks very old fashioned. You are correct that all of Paul's epistles, with the exception of I and II Corinthians and Romans, are in volume. Regardless, Calvin's Commentaries are by far the best commentaries available on the entire bible, especially for the price. I would highly recommend them, just make sure you have your reading glasses.

I have weakening eyes (i.e., I sometimes need "cheaters" to read), but I don't have any problem reading the font in the Baker set. The cover and binding on the books are good. The pages are a little thin, but not too bad. The set is an essential, so buy it when it is on sale.

8 or 9 point font is like as big as a normal bible font, isn't it?
I know my ESV Study Bible is 9 point for the Scripture and 7.25pt for the notes. How do the Commentaries compare with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back