How long doe it take to you prepare a sermon outline / notes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Presbyterian

Puritan Board Doctor
Preachers:

Outside of the initial spade work, reading, meditating and praying, how long do you usually spend preparing your sermon notes or outline?

Outside of the initial spade work, reading, meditating and praying, how long do you usually spend preparing your sermon notes or outline?

Once that stuff's all done, the rest is easy - and usually pretty quick. it might only be a coupe more hours. This "spade work," etc., however, is extensive.

Yes, if you take out 'spade work', it could even be as little as an hour, but I would think the average is about three hours.

I spend about 50% of my sermon prep time on exegetical related work and the other 50% on crafting a sermon. So I'd say that in terms of the # of hours I put into the "crafting" part, about 7-8.

I'm with Ben. It usually takes me about a day, but that is with exegeses and other related research.

I try to force myself to come up with a skeletal outline fairly early in the 'spade' faze, but then flesh it out as I go. However, I end up tweaking that outline right up to the end. After the sermon I usually think of ways it could be tweaked to make it even better.

I try to force myself to come up with a skeletal outline fairly early in the 'spade' faze, but then flesh it out as I go. However, I end up tweaking that outline right up to the end. After the sermon I usually think of ways it could be tweaked to make it even better.

:ditto:

I spend about 3-4 hours on each of my three outlines. Once the final homiletical outline is completed, the polishing takes about an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back