How many celebrate Christmas as a "cultural" event?

Cultural Celebration of "Christmas".

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
I do not wish this to turn into some RPW battle or anything, I am asking ONLY about those who have some sort of celebration in their homes on the 24th or 25th. You know family time, eggnog, gifts for the kids, fun stuff, good stuff. I am NOT dealing with any "religious" aspects of December 25th, again I am only asking about whether or not there is some "cultural celebration" for you, even if it is just being with family and having a great meal.:popcorn:

I just enjoy it as a cultural thing myself. Megan and I buy some toys for our two nephews and our niece, we get to see family that we sometimes only get to see once a year, I like it!:popcorn::2cents::popcorn:

SORRY FOR THE TYPOS IN THE POLL QUESTIONS! OOPS! AS MANY OF YOU KNOW I WAS IN A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT AND NOW TYPE LEFT-HANDED!:violin::violin::violin::oops::oops::oops:

SORRY FOR THE TYPOS IN THE POLL QUESTIONS! OOPS! AS MANY OF YOU KNOW I WAS IN A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT AND NOW TYPE LEFT-HANDED!:violin::violin::violin::oops::oops::oops:

e,

The typos aren't a big deal. What is a big deal is that you left the popcorn smilie out of your last post. You haven't posted without the popcorn smilie in a while have you? :lol:

:popcorn: - I think this should be the official etexas smilie.

I enjoy celebrating the holiday as a cultural thing, but also use it as an opportunity to witness.

Last edited:

e,

The typos aren't a big deal. What is a big deal is that you left the popcorn smilie out of your last post. You haven't posted without the popcorn smilie in a while have you? :lol:

:popcorn: - I think this should be the official etexas smilie.
Hmmm...let's see,:wwbd:...oh yes! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

We don't do anything on the 25th except enjoy a quiet day.

BUT

We do have friends over a week or so before for fellowship. We gather around the organ or harpsichord and sing carols, hymns, and psalms, and then drink spiced cider and eat festive foods. You can call it a Christmas party if you'd like, because that is what it looks like. :cheers:

We don't do anything on the 25th except enjoy a quiet day.

BUT

We do have friends over a week or so before for fellowship. We gather around the organ or harpsichord and sing carols, hymns, and psalms, and then drink spiced cider and eat festive foods. You can call it a Christmas party if you'd like, because that is what it looks like. :cheers:
Do you have a harpsichord? Cool. I have a composer friend who has a wicked old one!:popcorn: I said derailing my own thread.:lol:

Last edited:
Tree, gifts, parties, cards, going to church on Christmas eve, we do the whole thing.

Tree, gifts, parties, cards, going to church on Christmas eve, we do the whole thing.
You know, I like the cards! Not the cheesy ones or sappy ones but during this season out of every 10 card you get, you will get 1 that brings a little wet to the old peepers!:violin::popcorn::violin:

The fact is, that in some families, you just can't avoid the *season*---unless you take off from work, avoid going out, and ignore family. So, in reality, I am able to use the opportunity to explain why I prefer "X-mas" over the other name.

Santa, Reindeer, Good Food, Family.

Happy Festivus for the Rest of Us!

NOTE: Santa, Reindeer, etc. is *pretend*

Gluttony is sinful.

Family is always fun.

Nonetheless, if I am wrong for the above reasons, I would gladly, truly, and sincerely receive private rebuke in the form of a Private Message (so as to not derail this thread), so long as there is Biblical substantiation.

**NOTE NOTE** If it is the Lord's Day, forget about all that aforementioned stuff. Got better things to do, then.
Josh I am actually glad you "celebrate" the cultural aspects, if you are anything like me, there are friend an family that you ONLY see during this period. To me that is special.:popcorn:

Do you have a harpsichord? Cool. I have a composer friend who has a wicked old one!:popcorn: I said derailing my own thread.:lol:

Yup. This one is not that old, circa 1963. I've also built a couple that are owned by others. I love playing on 'em.

(Now back to your regularly scheduled Christmas party. . . .);)

Although, that IS pretty funny. I think I'll start pretending he has a bear. :D

What about the reindeer? They won't get along.....;)
It's just pretend, Sir. ;)

pooky.gif
OIC, like the bear in Grizzly Adams, he only wants to help the other animanls... not eat them. :lol:

Okay, that's enough :offtopic: stuff. I'll return you to your regularly scheduled posts now.
popcorntub.gif

You know, I like the cards! Not the cheesy ones or sappy ones but during this season out of every 10 card you get, you will get 1 that brings a little wet to the old peepers!:violin::popcorn::violin:

Nothing gets me more "wound up" then getting a generic "Holiday Card" that (Amazing Coincidence) is mailed out at Christmastime, includes seasonably apropriate imagary, and that DOES NOT MENTION CHRISTMAS.
"I mean come on off of your High Horse. If you "realy" "truely" only meant to celebrate the "Holidays", why not send these cards out around veterans day? Or Arbour Day, or some other "Holiday"?

Nothing gets me more "wound up" then getting a generic "Holiday Card" that (Amazing Coincidence) is mailed out at Christmastime, includes seasonably apropriate imagary, and that DOES NOT MENTION CHRISTMAS.

Yes! Stop the politically correct madness! Whenever someone says to me, "Happy Holidays!," I respond with "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!" Kwaanza lovers specifically mention Kwanzaa; Jews have Hannukah. It is, as usual, only Christians who are actively marginalized.

Yes! Stop the politically correct madness! Whenever someone says to me, "Happy Holidays!," I respond with "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!" Kwaanza lovers specifically mention Kwanzaa; Jews have Hannukah. It is, as usual, only Christians who are actively marginalized.

Check this link out. It's about just that thing.

BTW, we celebrate. My kids have been told from the beginning that "Santa" is not real. The presents come from us. They have also been told that December 25 is not the real birth date of Jesus, but that many people choose to celebrate it on that day. We are probably more cultural celebrators than anything else.

I enjoy the Christmas season. My family and I are big celebrators of Christmas in our home.... we get the live tree, decorate the house, family pictures, gifts, eggnog, spiced (spiked!) cider, big dinner, gifts... the whole shebang!

I make a sharp distinction between what should be done in the context of corporate worship and what is permissible for private Christians.

We will be camping at the beach during Christmas break. I don't know how to answer the poll. Does body boarding in my wet suit count as a cultural celebration? I am celebrating the SoCal beach culture!

The fact is, that in some families, you just can't avoid the *season*---unless you take off from work, avoid going out, and ignore family. So, in reality, I am able to use the opportunity to explain why I prefer "X-mas" over the other name.

Santa, Reindeer, Good Food, Family.

Happy Festivus for the Rest of Us!

NOTE: Santa, Reindeer, etc. is *pretend*

Gluttony is sinful.

Family is always fun.

Nonetheless, if I am wrong for the above reasons, I would gladly, truly, and sincerely receive private rebuke in the form of a Private Message (so as to not derail this thread), so long as there is Biblical substantiation.

**NOTE NOTE** If it is the Lord's Day, forget about all that aforementioned stuff. Got better things to do, then.
Josh I am actually glad you "celebrate" the cultural aspects, if you are anything like me, there are friend an family that you ONLY see during this period. To me that is special.:popcorn:
I do want to make caveat:

Santa is not actively presented or talked about. When he is, he doesn't have God-like qualities (i.e. knowing who's naughty or nice, etc.). Just some Jolly Old Fat man with a bear who likes to give gifts....and he's pretend...now as for what she's told by others, I don't know. But I'm pretty certain that my rendition of Santa (pretend fat jolly guy) and her Catechism, and our Psalm singing, and Scripture memory, etc. clears up any misconceptions that there's anyone like God other than God Himself.
I found out there was no "'Anta Claws" early on, my Pop, ya know he was a smart guy, but he was NO GOOD WITH TOOLS! Soooo any toys that Sister and I had that needed assembly, oh man, at night I whould hear some "cussin'" and Christmas morn' my Old Man would have bandages on his hands! It was sad. But I DID realize Santa did not cuss and cut himself putting together toys! Something came from it.:):popcorn::)

Another poll that I can't choose one of the answers. I do celebrate Christmas and I do so for religious reasons.

My wife and I celebrate with a tree, a few gifts, family and dinner. All in all, its a very nice day to spend with family, and sparkly decorations. :cheers:

I enjoy the Christmas season. My family and I are big celebrators of Christmas in our home.... we get the live tree, decorate the house, family pictures, gifts, eggnog, spiced (spiked!) cider, big dinner, gifts... the whole shebang!

I make a sharp distinction between what should be done in the context of corporate worship and what is permissible for private Christians.
Thank you, that is a very good point! I did mention RPW (which I follow), but did not go far enough in making,as you said, a "sharp distinction" between corporate worship and an "in house" private celebration for the Christian with family, friends, neighbors, munching on some good food and having some cider, and what not, a fellowship time if you prefer. Thank you again for bringing that up!:):popcorn::)

WOW!!!!! So far about 72% of you guys have some sort of home celebration either on the 24th or 25th! I am pleased and happily surprised! :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back