How Many of These Books Do You Own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OPC'n

Puritan Board Doctor
Monergism Books declares, "[these books] deserve a permanent place on your bookshelf". How many do you have? I only have four of them and none of them are from Owen....heard he's a hard read!

ESV Study Bible
ESV Reformation Study Bible
The Institutes of Christian Religion by John Calvin
A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith 2nd Edition by Dr. Robert L. Reymond
Institutes of Elenctic Theology, 3 vol. set by Francis Turretin
A Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson
The Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall
The Glory of Christ by John Owen
The Holy Spirit by John Owen
Religious Affections by Jonathan Edwards
The Doctrine of God by John Frame

I have all but the Frame. The Owen works I have not as presented there (the abridged paperbacks) but in his Complete Works. As for the Frame, I'm not sure I'm terribly inclined to buy it, given all the other works I've got on Theology proper and on Covenant theology - though if I thought there was a good reason to get it I might.

From your list, just these.

A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith 2nd Edition by Dr. Robert L. Reymond

I'm wondering why Monergism thinks Frame and Reymond deserve a permanent place on our bookshelf. :think:

Monergism Books declares, "[these books] deserve a permanent place on your bookshelf". How many do you have? I only have four of them and none of them are from Owen....heard he's a hard read!

1. ESV Study Bible
  2. ESV Reformation Study Bible
  3. The Institutes of Christian Religion by John Calvin
  4. A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith 2nd Edition by Dr. Robert L. Reymond
  5. The Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall
  6. The Holy Spirit by John Owen
  7. The Doctrine of God by John Frame

And i have "A Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson" digitally.

This one's on my "books to get" list...

I'm wondering why Monergism thinks Frame and Reymond deserve a permanent place on our bookshelf. :think:

There are many who think that Frame is the bee's knees... I'm just not inclined to agree, nor am I particularly inclined to buy what seems to a bloated text like his on which I've already got several that I know are solid and, I expect, far more edifying.

I have five... but like a lot of my books, some are bought and never fully read. I have enough trouble keeping up with my Bible reading!

I read Reymond a long time ago, it's probably on the list as the best recent reformed systematic theology. Probably a different thread but are there any (other) good recent Reformed systematics?

I just read parts of Berkhof last year and while a bit dry are certainly clear and accessible to this layman.

I've got six of them. Reymond really comes in handy and Calvin and Edwards cannot be lived without. I don't think I could breathe if John and Jonathan were not by my side on the shelf... :)

I need more of the Puritans, but own the essentials of the Great Ones: Bunyan, Owen, etc.

But where, O where is Spurgeon on the list??? :confused:

ESV Study Bible

Bold is what I've got.

I have all but Reymond, Grunall, and Frame. No particular reason I do not have those three. Just haven't purchased them yet.
Owen may be a diffiuclt read but he is unmatched.
Is there any other Clarkian systematics/dogmatics besides Reymond?

ESV Study Bible

All of the above list. Yes, Owen is a difficult, but very profitable, read.

As to the "cult of ESV," it has nothing to do with that. The Reformation Study Bible is useful for the GREAT articles and notes. The ESV Study Bible is simply the most complete one published in English for any translation. I also have the NIV Study Bible and the NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible and don't even like the NIV. Same situation would be true of multiple NASB study Bibles with different helps.

I also have the Battles and Beveridge translations of Calvin's Institutes. Does that qualify me as a devotee of the "cult of Calvin" (please . . . please . . . please . . . pick me!). :lol:

I'm "sure" that ALL of you NKJV guys probably want to have both the MacArthur Study Bible (NKJV) AND the Blackaby Study Bible. :lol:

I own

Although I like the ESV, our Church uses NIV and so I've started bringin my 'Spirit of the Reformation' NIV study Bible. I had sort of forgotten just how good a study aid it was.

I own

Although I like the ESV, our Church uses NIV and so I've started bringin my 'Spirit of the Reformation' NIV study Bible. I had sort of forgotten just how good a study aid it was.

Eventhough I like the study Bibles in the ESV, I think the Spirit of the Reformation study Bible is the best executed SB, even though it is in the NIV. I do not know why the ESV Reformation study Bible was printed with out the creeds and confessions in the back!

I only have A Body of Divinity by Thomas Watson, and have little inclination to get many of the remaining books on the list.

I only own these three:

ESV Study Bible

I have these:

• The Institutes of Christian Religion by John Calvin
  • A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith 2nd Edition by Dr. Robert L. Reymond [not sure which edition; I got it back in 2000 or 2001]
  • Institutes of Elenctic Theology, 3 vol. set by Francis Turretin [only vol. 3]
  • The Glory of Christ by John Owen [in vol. 1 of his Works]
  • The Doctrine of God by John Frame

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back