How many songs does your church do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Doxology or Gloria Patri
2. Psalm
3. Hymn (or metric Psalm in Trinity Hymnal)
4. Hymn ""

Last edited:
Mornings: Typically 3 full songs, at least one Psalm, often 2 lately. Gloria Patri also included. All of these are interspersed throughout the worship service.
Evenings (we haven't returned, but usually): We usually have a longer psalm/hymn sing portion so probably 4-5 Psalms or Hymns...1-2 are chosen by pastor that go with the night's sermon, and a few are taken as favorites from the congregation. It often ends up being Psalms only because of the tenor of the regular evening crowd and a Bible Song in the ARP Psalter almost always get requested and the momentum takes us on a roll of requesting more from the Psalter. Hallelujah, Praise Jehovah is stuck in my head just about every week last year because of our evening worship. I love it. I look forward to resuming evening worship, hopefully in a few weeks.

4 or 5 if you count the 'prayer of illumination', which it is usually, when it is a segment of Psalm 119. Today the 4 were 1 hymn and 3 psalms; often it is all psalms, rarer 50/50 and unheard of almost to have predominantly hymns, for which I'm thankful.

Always 3. What kinds depend on the preacher. As a mission work, we have different preachers every week. Two pastors usually choose three Psalms, or two Psalms and one hymn. One pastor almost never chooses a Psalm. A few of the preachers know I am EP, and sometimes try to accommodate me.

Three psalms per service. Six per LORD’s Day, and sometimes additional when we have have a monthly psalm sing.

Four, sometimes five. The services are a tad shorter these days due to cleaning between services, so it's more often been just four songs lately.

We sing 3 in the morning, 5 in the evening, not counting our closing response which is currently a stanza of psalm 103. In the evening 3 are selections from the congregation.

We sing the doxology prior to each service, and then 5 psalms during each morning and evening service. An additional psalm is sung during baptism or Lord's supper services.

Since folks are noting evening services, I forgot to say, but in addition to the 4 or 5 mix of psalms and hymns (but predominantly psalms) in the AM service, there are two psalms in the evening service at LPC.

Before the zombie apocalypse it was 3 congregational hymns per service. Since we have started meeting again, it's been two. No choir since we've started meeting again. with usually a solo (today a duet) where the offertory used to be.

We usually sing three psalms/hymns in each service. As a rule, we sing all the verses. The first psalm/hymn usually corresponds to the call to worship. The second psalm/hymn is a response the the Scripture reading. The third and final psalm/hymn is a response to the preaching of God's Word.

Last edited:
We usually sing three psalms/hymns in each service. As a rule, we sing all the verses. The first psalm/hymn usually corresponds to the call to worship. The second psalm/hymn is a response the the Scripture reading. The third and final psalm/hymn is a response to the preaching of God's Word.
Our church does the same as this in the morning. At night we do the same plus we also do three additional via requests from the congregation.

Three before the service (with an opening prayer and reading interspersing them), and one after the sermon. If we are celebrating the Lord's Supper, then this will take place after the final hymn with no hymn after.

Three psalms in each Lord’s Day worship service. So six total on the Day (morning and afternoon).

In our midweek worship service we only sing two psalms. But as that is more of a prayer meeting, prayer dominates.

No Lord’s Supper since COVID hit and the Evening Service is still canned. Further, when in person Morning Worship resumed, songs were cut down from 3 to 2, and I am not sure a single Psalm Has made the liturgy since. Still glad to be meeting, but I still feel a little down about it all. Thankfully there is another somewhat local PCA Church that has an evening worship service and out of their 3 songs there is usually always 1 Psalm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back