• 31 mins - 1 hr

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • 1 hr - 2 hr

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • 2 hr - 3 hr

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Over 3 hrs

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Random Meaningless Choice Placed Here To Throw You Off And Make You Think Twice About Your Answer

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never really tracked it, but at least 3 hours a day that consists of course of daily bible reading ( 6 chapters a night), technical books and manuals, along with theology, and some fiction. I actually try to read whenever I can outside of my normal duties. I found this to be the case with Machen and Van Til as well.

Charlie do you highlight or write in your books? When you summarize do you wait till the end of the chapter or just summarize as you go?
If you don't understand, it's pointless. If you don't remember, it's fleeting. That's why note-taking should accompany reading.

No one would disagree with your first assertion, but I wonder about the second. What do you mean by "it's fleeting"? I heard a quote recently, something to the effect of "The fact that you can't remember something does not mean it didn't shape you in some way" and it resonated with me. Possibly just because it serves to assuage some of my guilt over all the books I have read and forgotten...

No one would disagree with your first assertion, but I wonder about the second. What do you mean by "it's fleeting"? I heard a quote recently, something to the effect of "The fact that you can't remember something does not mean it didn't shape you in some way" and it resonated with me. Possibly just because it serves to assuage some of my guilt over all the books I have read and forgotten...

I hope that is true! I read 12 books so far this year and still have a hard time remembering what I read. Even reading some of the posts confuse me after I have read them a few times.

Due to the nature of my work, a private music teacher, I would get to read quite a bit before. Somewhere around 4-6 hrs a day. I would get to do about 2-3 books a week depending on the length. Now I'm attending both seminary & college so my time is severely restricted so I'm not sure. I've still managed to get through about 3 books so far this year which is REALLY slow for me but like I said I hardly have any time now. I started waking up an hour earlier so I could put in more time & have gotten into the habit of carrying a book WHEREVER I go, so I can cram 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there etc. They add up to over an hour more per day. Anyways hopefully I can get through at least 100 books this year. I figure during the summer I'll do a crash & go on a tear & put in 8+ hours a day for 2-3 months to make up.

Probably 2-3 hours a day now, if you include close to an hour a day reading out loud to my son (we do one story from a children's bible, or straight from scripture, each morning and at night, plus one or two other short books or stories a day). I used to read a whole lot more, because I had a night shift job that mainly consisted of being on the premises and staying awake, but it's harder to find the time with a very high energy toddler around. I've always been a fast reader though, so I can cover a lot in a few hours. I'm also in the habit of carrying a book in my purse, so I can read when I'm on the go or waiting for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back