How shall we know God's mercy belongs to us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueridge Believer

Puritan Board Professor
(1) We know that God's mercy belongs to us—if we put a high value and estimate upon it. He will not throw away his mercy on those who slight it. We prize health—but we prize adopting mercy more. This is the diamond in the ring; it outshines all other comforts.

(2) We know that God's mercy belongs to us—if we fear God, if we have a reverend awe upon us, if we tremble at sin, and flee from it, as Moses did from his rod turned into a serpent. "His mercy is on those who fear him." Luke 1:50.

(3) We know that God's mercy belongs to us—if we take sanctuary in God's mercy; if we trust in it as a drowning man catches hold of a cable. God's mercy to us is a cable let down from heaven. By taking fast hold of this by faith, we are saved. "I trust in the mercy of God forever." Psalm 52:8. As a man trusts his life and goods in a garrison, so we trust our souls in God's mercy.

How shall we get a share in God's saving mercy?

(1) If we would have saving mercy, it must be through Christ. Outside of Christ, there is no saving mercy. We read in the old law, that none might come unto the holy of holies, where the mercy-seat stood—but the high-priest: to signify that we have nothing to do with mercy but through Christ our High-priest. That the high-priest might not come near the mercy-seat without blood, is to show that we have no right to mercy—but through the expiatory sacrifice of Christ's blood, Lev 16:14. That the high-priest might not, upon pain of death, come near the mercy-seat without incense, Lev 16:13, is to show that there is no mercy from God without the incense of Christ's intercession. If we would have mercy, we must be in Christ. Mercy swims to us through Christ's blood!

(2) If we would have mercy, we must pray for it. "Show us your mercy, O Lord, and grant us your salvation." Psalm 85:7. "Turn unto me, and have mercy upon me." Psalm 25:16. Lord, put me not off with common mercy; give me not only mercy to feed and clothe me—but mercy to pardon me. Lord, give me not only sparing mercy—but saving mercy. Lord, give me the cream of your mercies; let me have pardoning mercy and loving kindness. "Who crowns you with loving kindness and tender mercies." Psalm 103:4. Be earnest suitors for mercy; let your needs quicken your importunity. We pray most fervently, when we pray most feelingly.

FROM THOMAS WATSON'S "THE TEN COMMANDMENTS"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back