How To Help Disciples Grow Out Of Lukewarmness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I myself am feeling the void in this area in particular with the fallout of all the covid stuff. Need brothers in my life helping me to see things in my life I don't and challenge me and remind me of the truth of Scripture.
I think we all have. I have a talk just about every week with Russ Pulliam. He is an old old friend and an Elder at the Church. I hate the mask mandate and others are getting tired of the distancing thing. At least we can meet. It is easy for me to get sick so I usually lay low but I am tired of it. I went out to eat with my Dad, Sister, her husband and seven other policemen from their town. None of us wore masks. We sat right next to each other. I did catch a fever a few days later and a stomach thing but I don't care. It was a good time. I can't push my liberty upon others and violate their consciences but this covid thing is a strange occurrence in a strange time.

While I no longer agree with some of their theology, when I was with the Plymouth Brethren, we had weekly activities. While I can't say it was "mandatory" to go to the Lord's supper, gospel meetings on Sunday nights and the weekly bible study on Thursday evening, we wanted to learn more. And then between the Lord's supper on Sunday morning (lasted till about lunch) most often you would be invited to someone's house for lunch, and at one particular couple's house, I had my chair in the corner and snored away the afternoon.

Then back for the gospel meeting in the evening.

Then every Friday night, there would be hymn sings at various houses. I most often went to one particular family home when I was single, where all the bachelors went (guys and girls). We would start with a chat "how was the week" or something along those lines, then the hymn sing. There was always someone with a guitar. Then more often than not, there was always that couple of people in the corner, reading their bible, and the entire room would turn into a bible study.

I miss those activities, desperately. But in the space of 3 yrs with them, most of us grew immensely in Christ, doctrine, theology and love for Christ.

Thank you Ryan for starting this thread and thanks to all who have contributed. I am listening to the sermon about the Holy Spirit by Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (thank you Ed) and will read the other contributions as time permits. This very burden for my own lukewarmness struck me as I was reading Psalm 84.

1 How lovely is your dwelling place,
Lord Almighty!
2 My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out
for the living God.

Does my soul yearn, even faint, for the courts of the Lord? I must confess that it does not. Do my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God? Sadly, no.

I'm thankful for the wisdom of folks here on PB who provide encouragement and counsel to those of us who sense our own lukewarmness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back