How to identify a non-ministerial call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Zartman

Puritan Board Junior
While most here agree that a call to be a minister or deacon is a pretty definite thing--there are Biblical standards laid out, and each group by and large has procedures for formally calling officers--what about other callings? When a woman says, "I am called to be a housewife," does that mean she aspires to be a housewife, or that being one already she is content? Is there some sort of legitimate call to non-office things? (was I called to be a father, because I have children?)
More to the point, when someone 'feels' called to do street evangelism, is there even such a thing? Can we properly say that an internal feeling is a call? Is it some kind of call even if it isn't a Call?
Can a church call someone to something that is NOT ministerial? (have I been called to translate sermons because that is the work I do in the church?)
I'm afraid the term "call" is being misused and broadened by people in my acquaintance, and I'd like to know what the board thinks on this issue. If my question is unclear or incomplete, I'll be happy to explain further.
Thanks!

I think the term is definitely misused and misunderstood. The epistles seem mostly to speak about calling as something pertaining to every believer, our having been called by Christ (i.e. regeneration). I think it’s more accurate biblically to describe our plans and situations in terms of our desire to do something, or as God’s providence in having us where we are.

While most here agree that a call to be a minister or deacon is a pretty definite thing--there are Biblical standards laid out, and each group by and large has procedures for formally calling officers--what about other callings? When a woman says, "I am called to be a housewife," does that mean she aspires to be a housewife, or that being one already she is content? Is there some sort of legitimate call to non-office things? (was I called to be a father, because I have children?)
More to the point, when someone 'feels' called to do street evangelism, is there even such a thing? Can we properly say that an internal feeling is a call? Is it some kind of call even if it isn't a Call?
Can a church call someone to something that is NOT ministerial? (have I been called to translate sermons because that is the work I do in the church?)
I'm afraid the term "call" is being misused and broadened by people in my acquaintance, and I'd like to know what the board thinks on this issue. If my question is unclear or incomplete, I'll be happy to explain further.
Thanks!
I have accepted the understanding that we are all called to be servants of and for the Lord in wherever he decides to place us at doing.

The distinction between a 'calling' and gifts must be considered; all of these things, if valid, would be confirmed via church leaders and members.

The distinction between a 'calling' and gifts must be considered; all of these things, if valid, would be confirmed via church leaders and members.
We are all called though to be living witnesses to the Lord Jesus in whatever state that we find ourselves placed into at that stage of our lives.
We are to bring the salt and light of the Lord into our situations.

I think you are right that a "call" ought to be restricted to the work of preaching and ministering the Gospel, and that is accomplished by the Spirit and the local church.

But the word "calling" has been used for a long time to describe activities one feels he "must do." It is not a church call, but rather a drive that some feel --something stronger than a mere desire. It could involve any endeavor.

Jerry Jeff Walker sang of "gettin' paid for doing something I'd be doing anyway." He was talking about singing, but that's how I feel about my work, too. It is a blessing to experience such a thing.

Last edited:
"Calling" is one of those words that can be understood in a number of different senses. As with many words, you have to look at context to understand which sense the speaker means. I see at least three senses which could apply to this discussion:

1. The broad calling of every believer to serve Christ and his church according to his or her gifts, as used in Ephesians 4:1-13.

2. The specific calling to pastoral ministry.

3. The sense that God (or your interests) is directing you to a particular way to obey him or use your abilities to serve the church, which is a common way to use the word not only in religious contexts but in the secular world as well.

The situation described in the OP should not be confused with #2, but it might be a "calling" in the sense of #3. It's important not to get confused about the different senses, though, lest a person misunderstand the nature of what he is doing. A sense that God wishes you to obey him a certain way, even when it is confirmed by leaders in the church, is not the same as a call to pastoral ministry.

In particular, the claim that "God called me" in sense #3 should not be used to shut down debate about whether the calling you feel is appropriate and truly comes from the Spirit.

Thanks for the replies--I can't answer each one individually (I have to be busy about my-ahem-calling most of the day).
I'm interested though in what reply to give to a fellow church member who, without being ordained, vetted by the church or even much prepared, walks up to me and says: "I think God is calling me to go do street evangelism." This happens from time to time, and they usually want to drag me along with them to wherever they're going to do it.
I don't wish to cast a wet blanket over them, but I always want to ask, "since when is a call a feeling?" or "What are your qualifications for such a call and who has called you externally?"
The dilemma is how to be charitable and encouraging without seeming like a call nazi? And so I ask whether there are lesser calls to "ministry" than pastors and deacons that are still legitimate, or whether these feelings are individual whims, and if so, what should the church do about them? And how should I, as a layman, respond to them?

You could tell them that the public proclamation of the gospel should be under the oversight of the ordained ministry, and that they should see their church leaders for input. Of course many church leaders will have already told them to go for it. It’s hard to talk to people about church order and the RPW if their churches don’t care or talk about it, but maybe some will be open to hearing.

You could tell them that the public proclamation of the gospel should be under the oversight of the ordained ministry, and that they should see their church leaders for input. Of course many church leaders will have already told them to go for it. It’s hard to talk to people about church order and the RPW if their churches don’t care or talk about it, but maybe some will be open to hearing.
That's sort of what I'm finding--our elders are all gung-ho on people going out, but are not exactly willing to call them and send them. It seems a weird gray area in our polity. Why not make them wait until they can be officially sent? Perhaps the church doesn't want the oversight of yet another thing. This whole matter is a little too close the the fringes for me.

"Calling" is one of those words that can be understood in a number of different senses. As with many words, you have to look at context to understand which sense the speaker means. I see at least three senses which could apply to this discussion:

1. The broad calling of every believer to serve Christ and his church according to his or her gifts, as used in Ephesians 4:1-13.

2. The specific calling to pastoral ministry.

3. The sense that God (or your interests) is directing you to a particular way to obey him or use your abilities to serve the church, which is a common way to use the word not only in religious contexts but in the secular world as well.

The situation described in the OP should not be confused with #2, but it might be a "calling" in the sense of #3. It's important not to get confused about the different senses, though, lest a person misunderstand the nature of what he is doing. A sense that God wishes you to obey him a certain way, even when it is confirmed by leaders in the church, is not the same as a call to pastoral ministry.

In particular, the claim that "God called me" in sense #3 should not be used to shut down debate about whether the calling you feel is appropriate and truly comes from the Spirit.
Jack,
The Ephesians 4 passage is a key text in the debate. The older Reformed understanding is that it is essentially a passage about church office, the key verses being 8-13:
8Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9(Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) 11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

The difference in the way the older commentators read the passage and the way many contemporary commentators do is that the older ones understand the three clauses of verse 12 to be three different takes on the ministry of the teaching offices described in verse 11. They are given for the perfecting of the saints, [comma] for the work of the ministry, [comma] for the edifying of the body of Christ.

Newer commentators often understand 11-12 to be saying that the teaching offices are given for the perfecting of the saints to do the work of the minisry, leading to the edifying of the body of Christ.

In the older Reformed writers, this is a classic text on church government. Check out Calvin's comments on the text.

Last edited:
Jack,
The Ephesians 4 passage is a key text in the debate. The older Reformed understanding is that it is essentially a passage about church office, the key verses being 8-13:

Oh, I have little doubt the passage eventually gets around to discussing church office in the verses you cited. But when Paul speaks of calling in 4:1 and 4:4, it seems he is addressing all believers rather than just officers. This is why it's good to recognize that the word (like most words in most languages) can be used in a number of different senses. The fact that "calling" is sometimes used to refer to the duties of all believers does not mean all believers have a calling in the same sense an officer has; the word is being used differently.

Last edited:
Oh, I have little doubt the passage eventually gets around to discussing church office in the verses you cited. But when Paul speaks of calling in 4:1, it seems he is addressing all believers rather than just officers. This is why it's good to recognize that the word (like most words in most languages) can be used in a number of different senses. The fact that "calling" is sometimes used to refer to the duties of all believers does not mean all believers have a calling in the same sense an officer has; the word is being used differently.
I agree wholeheartedly with what you have here. Verse 1, as I understand it, is about the general call of Christians, like what Jeri mentioned in post 2.

In your earlier post, I (incorrectly perhaps) understood you to be advocating "every-member-ministry." There's no telling how many times I heard this text used that way in youth group at the Baptist church I grew up in. It way eye-opening when I saw older Reformed writers base their polity on the text, along with Romans 12 and I Corinthians 12.

In your earlier post, I (incorrectly perhaps) understood you to be advocating "every-member-ministry."

Yes, I suspected that you misunderstood me. I take it for granted that we agree there is a distinction between being called to pastoral ministry and being called to follow Christ and support his church. The first kind of call is for pastors, while the second is for every believer.

Given the way many churches today blur this distinction, we might think it is good advice to limit our use of "calling" to the first group so that we use the word only for pastors. But if we try to do this, we run into the pesky fact that Paul does not seem to take our good advice. So I think it is better to point out that the word can be used in several different senses and these different senses ought not to be confused with each other, rather than try to restrict usage in a way the Bible doesn't.

Yes, I suspected that you misunderstood me. I take it for granted that we agree there is a distinction between being called to pastoral ministry and being called to follow Christ and support his church. The first kind of call is for pastors, while the second is for every believer.

Given the way many churches today blur this distinction, we might think it is good advice to limit our use of "calling" to the first group so that we use the word only for pastors. But if we try to do this, we run into the pesky fact that Paul does not seem to take our good advice. So I think it is better to point out that the word can be used in several different senses and these different senses ought not to be confused with each other, rather than try to restrict usage in a way the Bible doesn't.
Yes, I now see that I was mistaken. I'm sorry for mischaracterizing your view.

So much of evangelicalism lays burdens on God's people, grievous to be borne, in teaching them that if they aren't involved in evangelistic outreach, or don't have some kind of "ministry," that they aren't serving Christ. I grew up in circles in which you were encouraged to find your "calling" and use it as a "ministry" to fulfill the great commission.

I see that I was reading that "every-member-ministry" view into what you wrote. Again, I apologize for misrepresenting you. I agree wholeheartedly that every believer has a duty to support the church and her ministry, and to let their light so shine before men, that they see their good works, and glorify their Father which is in heaven.

Jack,

The difference in the way the older commentators read the passage and the way many contemporary commentators do is that the older ones understand the three clauses of verse 12 to be three different takes on the ministry of the teaching offices described in verse 11. They are given for the perfecting of the saints, [comma] for the work of the ministry, [comma] for the edifying of the body of Christ.

Newer commentators often understand 11-12 to be saying that the teaching offices are given for the perfecting of the saints to do the work of the minisry, leading to the edifying of the body of Christ.

In the older Reformed writers, this is a classic text on church government. Check out Calvin's comments on the text.
So in your estimation, can someone be "called" to do street evangelism who is not either trained to preach nor qualified (yet) for an actual pastoral ministry? Would God issue an "internal call" to such a person that was unratifiable by the visible church?

So in your estimation, can someone be "called" to do street evangelism who is not either trained to preach nor qualified (yet) for an actual pastoral ministry? Would God issue an "internal call" to such a person that was unratifiable by the visible church?
No, not ordinarily. God has appointed ministers of his Word to administer his Word. The great commission is a good paradigm: Christ sends out ministers of the Word and sacraments to teach and to baptize, and thereby to disciple the nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back