How to make a real man's Ice Tea for the summer day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
1. Forget about the Ice Tea mix. drop it. That which is beautiful comes from careful craftmanship, not a ready made mix.

2. Get lipton tea bags. And put it in a pot of water to boil/brew.

3. Take 1 tea bag, and open it, and scatter the tea in the pot. Let this boil for a total of 8 minutes.

4. Take 1 lime, cut it in half, and squeeze, it into the pot. Invert the halves of the lime, so that the flesh becomes the outer and the skin becomes the inner. Place the lime flesh down into the pot for 2 minutes. (Be cautious with this step, because if the halves get totally immersed the lime skin, it can leave the tea bitter.

5. Put sugar into a container where the tea will be placed. Depending on how sweet one wants it. I advice all, not to use sweet n low. That's an insult to tea, but for those who have health issues all is forgiven.

6. Put a strainer over the container that contains the sugar, then pour the hot tea, which will be filtered by the strainer. Stir to make sure the sugar diffuses in the mixture, then put in the freezer for 4-5 hours.

Conclusion. I figured that the key to making flavorful ice tea is to actually brew the tea, enhance its flavor, then set it to get cold.

Sounds good but if you want 'a really real man's Ice Tea' substitute whiskey for water.

drink.gif

Well, lookee here, a yankee figured out that we've always brewed tea and then cooled it. The real secret, of which I'm sworn to secrecy upon a folded Stars and Bars, is in the proportion of the brewing liquid to the tea upon entry of the tea to the liquid.

Some other secrets are better left unhinted at:bigsmile:

Health Warning!
Placing hot items in a freezer can be dangerous. It will cause adjacent items to thaw on the outer surface. This can cause bacterial growth.

[Edited on 8-15-2005 by LawrenceU]

Originally posted by poimen
Sounds good but if you want 'a really real man's Ice Tea' substitute whiskey for water.

drink.gif

Okay... Now I am thirsty.
beer.gif

My Grandma use to take about 7 Liption tea bags and an old Orange Juice Jar and fill it up with water. Drop the tea bags in with the strings draped over the lip of the jar and twist the lid on. Sit it in the hot sun for a day. Thus, we had Sun tea.

I have never had ice tea to drink - ever... it sounds like an interesting concept though.

Sun tea sounds like a much easier invention though :lol: It gets my vote... opps I would have to wait till I get sun.

Fraser,
Trust me. As one with a strong Scottish heritage and a love for strong black tea (one lump, light cream) iced tea is a treasure and not the sacriledge that so many claim across the pond.

Originally posted by LawrenceU
Well, lookee here, a yankee figured out that we've always brewed tea and then cooled it. The real secret, of which I'm sworn to secrecy upon a folded Stars and Bars, is in the proportion of the brewing liquid to the tea upon entry of the tea to the liquid.
you guys have all the fun. From sunny warm weather, hunting, fishing, country and gospel music, now even tea you guys top us with.

well i got news for you buddy, we have high blood pressure and stress up here in abundance :D

ps. thanks for the advice on the freezer thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back