How to Make Shepherd's Pie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shepherds pie is one of my favorite British pub foods. My wife and I make it regularly.

I would not use frozen vegetables, cream of mushroom soup or put cheese on top.

Instead, I’d brown the meat, saute onions and diced carrots in the cooked meat, add flour, stir to coat with oil, then add wine or beer (Guinness is good) to make a gravy. Add salt and pepper. Put in casserole dish, cover with mashed potatoes and bake until the peaks on the potatoes slightly brown.

Great served with ale.

Of course, real shepherd's pie is made with lamb, not ground beef!

REAL ENGLISH SHEPHERDS PIE!

1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. lamb, minced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, diced
1 beef stock cube
1 lb. chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon corn flour
3 tablespoons tomato puree
pinch of salt and pepper
2 lb. potatoes
1 stick butter

This is how to make a real English shepherds pie, made with lamb. If made with beef, it would be known as cottage pie.
Firstly, heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook until soft. Add minced lamb and stock cube, then cook until the mince is brown and shows a crumbly texture. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato puree, and add the corn flour. Leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about fifteen minutes, or until thickened.

Meanwhile, peel and chop potatoes and boil until soft, then mash them with the butter and salt and pepper to taste.

Put the filling into a deep dish, then top with the mashed potatoes and put under a warm grill (broiler) until the top is brown and crisp.

Delicious topped with melted cheese. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back