How to study Systematic Theology by Louis Berkoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lord is my Shepherd

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! I'm very new. I would appreciate some advice on how to proceed to study Systematic Theology by Louis Berkoff. Do you just read it straight through? Do you take notes? How do you take notes? How do you make sure you remember what you already read? Can anyone share a sample with me? Thank you.

Others will have more experience and more wisdom than me, but I would say:

1. Read it prayerfully. Speak to God as you read about him.

2. Read it slowly. Don’t have as your goal merely to finish the book. The goal is to know God, not just about him. Focus on whatever section you are on. Don’t rush.

3. Read it alongside your Bible. Go to every verse that is cited in Berkhof. This will slow you down, but that’s okay!

4. Read it consistently. Even a paragraph or two per day is better than reading a lot at a time, but only once a week.

I’m sorry I don’t have any tips for remembering what you have read.

Hi, Milly!

Since you describe yourself as "very new," I'd recommend starting with someone a little more modern. Berkhof is thoroughly orthodox, but reading him can be tough sledding at times.

If you can find a copy (currently out of print, I think), I might start with Robert L. Reymond's A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith (1998). A feature of his book is that he keys his theological explanations to the Westminster Standards.

Another choice might be Concise Reformed Dogmatics by J. van Genderen and W. H. Velema (2008). It came recommended to me by Ryan McGraw as the best one-volume systematic theology currently out there.

If you'd like something a little more, well, leisurely, I'd recommend Joel R. Beeke and Paul M. Smalley's Reformed Systematic Theology (4 volumes, 2019 - ). The first three volumes are out. Volume 4 might be out late this year or early next year (that's just a guess.) Thoroughly Reformed, easy to read, and very interesting. Don't let its length intimidate you (the four volumes will hover around 5,000 pages by the time they get done) because, as I said, it's not difficult to read - and, it will not only fill your head, it will fill your soul, too.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Make sure you have the full edition of Berkhof which includes the 'Introduction to Systematic Theology'. Most modern editions have this but older Banner of Truth editions do not. https://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/sdg/berkhof/IntrotoSystematicLouisBerkhof.pdf

Read it carefully with prayer. Have a good journal or notebook and take good summarised notes. I find notetaking helps me as I work my way through a serious book.

Feel free to ask questions on the PB.

Are you new to the study of theology? That would very much inform the answer I would give.

Are you new to the study of theology? That would very much inform the answer I would give.
I am moderately familiar with the Westminster Divines and still studying them. A little familiar with some of the teachings of Ligonier Ministries, John MacArthur, puritans, etc. This is the first time that I'll be trying to study Systematic Theology. The purpose is to be able to study the Bible better in an efficient, systematic way, DV.

Berkhof is a great choice. If you want to read him, you might start getting used to his thinking by first working through his Manual. It's brief, entry-level Berkhof that will let you wade into key concepts and learn the waters before trying to swim in the deep end.

I am moderately familiar with the Westminster Divines and still studying them. A little familiar with some of the teachings of Ligonier Ministries, John MacArthur, puritans, etc. This is the first time that I'll be trying to study Systematic Theology. The purpose is to be able to study the Bible better in an efficient, systematic way, DV.
Berkhof is a great choice. If you want to read him, you might start getting used to his thinking by first working through his Manual. It's brief, entry-level Berkhof that will let you wade into key concepts and learn the waters before trying to swim in the deep end.
I was going to suggest precisely what Jack said above. Berkhof is the 20th-century Reformed standard. But he is dry, dry, dry. He is a master organizer and is never novel, but he will put you to sleep in a minute. I would strongly urge you to get his Manual of Christian Doctrine and go from there. Another good option is R. C. Sproul's Everyone's a Theologian, which is the book version of his Ligonier teaching series "Foundations."

I was going to suggest precisely what Jack said above. Berkhof is the 20th-century Reformed standard. But he is dry, dry, dry. He is a master organizer and is never novel, but he will put you to sleep in a minute. I would strongly urge you to get his Manual of Christian Doctrine and go from there. Another good option is R. C. Sproul's Everyone's a Theologian, which is the book version of his Ligonier teaching series "Foundations."
Thank you so much!!! This one is much better suited for me and my high schooler. I'll go with this one!

Hi Milly, I'd highly recommend The Wonderful Works of God by Herman Bavinck. I tend to lean more towards the "redemptive/historical" approach (i.e. "Biblical Theology") than Systematic Theology, and I find that this one-volume book is a great Systematic overview written in a literary style that's more approachable to me.

Regards,
Brian

Hi Milly, I'd highly recommend The Wonderful Works of God by Herman Bavinck. I tend to lean more towards the "redemptive/historical" approach (i.e. "Biblical Theology") than Systematic Theology, and I find that this one-volume book is a great Systematic overview written in a literary style that's more approachable to me.

Redemptive/historical and systematics are two differing approaches to the study of theology and the Scriptures. Both have their value and complement one another nicely and in my opinion, should never be pitted against one another. We absolutely need both disciplines.

The amazing thing about Bavinck is he does both well. I was taking a guy through Wonderful Works of God before he needed to stop and of the chapters I read, I thought it was very good. Was still a bit on the tough side for a lay guy to go through but with some guidance, he was able to manage.

As noted in another post, if you are new to systematics, Beeke is much more accessible in his language choice and the clear way he explains topics. It will take you longer to read through since he is less concise, but you will also get to see more of the practical benefit of systematics than what Berkhof will give you.

I do hope Beeke will come out with a one volume some day. I am not sure his approach will make that possible, but if he pulls it off, it will be quite a feat.

Additionally, don't feel as if you need to read systematic texts straight through. You certainly can, but it can be easy to get bogged down. The shorter overviews that have been mentioned would be better for that.

Stay away from John MacArthur, his systematics are a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back