How to unclog dish disposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
We never use the dish disposal at my house, but someone poured food down the drain and it is clogged. What is the best way to unclog it?

First, make sure it is turned off.

If we're talking about a standard waste disposal, there should be a hole in the center of the underside which will fit an Allen wrench. Turn the Allen wrench to spin the blades. It should freely rotate 360 degrees. The disposal has probably tripped a reset button also located on the underside which you should be able to feel and push back in. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Also the proper size socket wrench with a long extension down from the top (through the drain) to the bolt that holds the blades one can spin the disposal motor also without climbing under the sink.

Been there. Make sure it is turned off like was said. Then you can usually turn the blades and it will unstick. Reset button if it has one.

:ditto: to all of the above, though I never tried Earl's method. I ended up removing mine because it was more hassle than it was worth.

If the disposal will spin, the clog may also be from the attached drain hose to the main drain (or the equivalent if you have only single sink). Remove the hose and manually clear it. Had to do that when I dumped a pot of macaroni into it a year ago. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back