How / Where should I start with reading Thomas Aquinas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexanderjames

Puritan Board Freshman
I would like to begin a serious study of Thomas Aquinas (not to mention other medieval scholastics).

I currently have the Summa Theologiae. Should I start with that, or get something else first perhaps?
Or should I hold off with Thomas until I am thoroughly acquainted with early philosophy like Aristotle, and the ECF?

(So much to learn, so little time!)

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
I would like to begin a serious study of Thomas Aquinas (not to mention other medieval scholastics).

I currently have the Summa Theologiae. Should I start with that, or get something else first perhaps?
Or should I hold off with Thomas until I am thoroughly acquainted with early philosophy like Aristotle?

(So much to learn, so little time!)
Pints with Aquinas has some videos on getting started with Thomas on Youtube.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I would second starting with his Compendium. Also, be sure to check out aquinas.cc, which is always adding to its collection of translations of Thomas's writings.

JimmyH

Puritan Board Senior
Thanks all. Copy of the compendium ordered as well as Feser’s guide.

Noted, can’t find a reasonable price for the Maurer edition so will hold off on this for now.

alexanderjames

Puritan Board Freshman
This excursus might make approaching Thomas a bit more manageable. It's from Norman Geisler's website where he gives some good advice on studying philosophy.

tl;dr

1) Read as much of Etienne Gilson as you can.
2) Read all of Mortimer Adler's stuff. He will make you a clearer thinker.
This is very helpful thanks.
I did get Etienne Gilson’s book on the philosophy of Thomas Aquinas. Also started on Chesterton’s essay on saint Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.