Howdy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhys

Puritan Board Freshman
Long time lurker, first time poster. I am a Primitive Baptist, which is about 98% similar to a Reformed Baptist (as far as I can tell).

The 1689 London Confession is highly regarded among the Primitives, and indeed the 1900 Primitive Baptist (Fulton) Confession is a footnoted reprint. The authors state in the appendix: "We recommend the London Confession of Faith as an expression of Bible truth. The articles of faith of our churches are substantially in harmony with the doctrine and practice set forth in that instrument, and we do heartily recommend the London Confession to the household of faith everywhere." Here's an article praising the London Confession (and also John Gill).

For anyone curious, the Fulton Confession is online at WikiSource here (the footnotes in each chapter are bolded, and the explanatory appendix is its own chapter -- otherwise, it's the 1689 LBC).

Elder R.V. Sarrels wrote our denomination's only systematic theology. My copy is still in the mail, but I'd be happy to do look-ups for anyone once it arrives.

Primitives are sometimes suspected of "Hyper-Calvinism" because of our emphasis on election and effectual calling, but we believe the Gospel is to be preached to sinners and that men are to repent and believe, so I don't think the accusation quite holds up.

For more specific points of belief, I refer you to What do Primitive Baptists Believe? by Elder Charles Taylor, Frequently Asked Questions about Old Line Primitive Baptists by Elder Thomas McDonald of Salem P.B.C. in Wichita Falls, Texas and Some Questions and Answers about Primitive Baptists by Elder Hoyt B. Simms of Atlanta P.B.C.

I suppose that's all for now. :)

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
Welcome! Can you provide a link to that systematic theology you mentioned? I'm curious!

I hope you enjoy your time at the PB. This is a great place with many wise and godly folks.

Grace to you.

Rhys

Puritan Board Freshman
Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody. Glad to be here. :up:

Welcome! Can you provide a link to that systematic theology you mentioned? I'm curious!

Here's an Amazon link. The book itself seems to be quite rare. I can't find any abstracts, previews, or in-depth reviews. All I know for sure is that it was printed once back in '78 and runs 514 pages. Might be a worthwhile investment for both the content and the collector value.

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody. Glad to be here. :up:

Here's an Amazon link. The book itself seems to be quite rare. I can't find any abstracts, previews, or in-depth reviews. All I know for sure is that it was printed once back in '78 and runs 514 pages. Might be a worthwhile investment for both the content and the collector value.

Thanks, I will take a look!

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
Welcome to the PB.

On a side note the hyper-Calvinistic accusations come from some doctrinal distinctions. But let's leave those topics for there proper forums.

As a Reformed Baptist for thirty years I have had a few Primitive Baptist Friends. And I loved their pursuit for truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.