Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

panta dokimazete

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070302/sc_livescience/hugeoceandiscoveredinsideearth

Scientists scanning the deep interior of Earth have found evidence of a vast water reservoir beneath eastern Asia that is at least the volume of the Arctic Ocean.
you know the Flood skeptics are gonna LOOOVE this, huh? :rofl:

Genesis 7:11
In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month—on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070302/sc_livescience/hugeoceandiscoveredinsideearth

you know the Flood skeptics are gonna LOOOVE this, huh? :rofl:

Genesis 7:11
In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month—on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.
I don't understand the connection between the two because i don't think scripture is inerrant will be the reply.

He was detailing their response, though without punctuation. "I'm afraid I can't see the connection between the two because I don't believe in inerrancy." In other words, if I don't believe the Bible is inerrant, then I can't believe it even when the facts seem to support it. Tragic.

Why does this remind me of the old fable about some "scientist" that drilled into the earth, lowered a microphone, and thought they could make out the sounds of people screaming in pain, as if tortured. Sorry to distract from the main topic, but it was the first thing that popped into my mind while reading the article.

I'll wait for the movie to come out before I start investing in deep water stock. :2cents:

Why does this remind me of the old fable about some "scientist" that drilled into the earth, lowered a microphone, and thought they could make out the sounds of people screaming in pain, as if tortured. Sorry to distract from the main topic, but it was the first thing that popped into my mind while reading the article.

I'll wait for the movie to come out before I start investing in deep water stock. :2cents:
Oh, drilling into this reservior would be a truly insane idea, in all likelihood. I can't even imagine the water pressure of this reservoir, if it exists. It'd be quite possibly a practically uncappable artesian well, would it not?

Larry - thoughts?

A little more technical data here

Feb. 7, 2007 -- A seismologist at Washington University in St. Louis has made the first 3-D model of seismic wave damping — diminishing — deep in the Earth's mantle and has revealed the existence of an underground water reservoir at least the volume of the Arctic Ocean.

It is the first evidence for water existing in the Earth's deep mantle.

One of the most dramatic features in the Wysession et. al global mantle shear-wave attenuation model is a very high-attenuation anomaly at the top of the lower mantle beneath eastern Asia. This anomaly is believed due to water that has been pumped into the lower mantle via the long history of the subduction of oceanic lithosphere — crust and upper mantle — in this region. The left figure is a slice through the earth, showing the attenuation anomalies within the mantle. The location of the slice — red line in the upper right figure — is a map of the seismic attenuation at a depth of roughly 620 miles. In both images, red shows unusually soft and weak rock, and blue shows unusually stiff rock (yellow and white show near-average values). The two figures in the lower right are resolution tests to see if the data have the resolution to retrieve Earth structure in these parts of the Earth. The sharper the black-white transitions are, the better the resolution is.

Michael E. Wysession, Ph.D., Washington University professor of earth and planetary sciences in Arts & Sciences, working with former graduate student Jesse Lawrence (now at the University of California, San Diego), analyzed 80,000 shear waves from more than 600,000 seismograms and found a large area in Earth's lower mantle beneath eastern Asia where water is damping out, or attenuating, seismic waves from earthquakes.

Reminds me of the movie: Megalogon

Here's what will happen if we drill into it...

Oil...the quest for it is unrelenting. The search for new reserves of the 'black gold' never-ends and leading the search is Nexecon Petroleum and its flagship-the largest drilling and refining platform ever constructed-'Colossus" located in the freezing North Atlantic waters off the coast of Greenland. 'Colossus' will drill deeper than any rig ever has, a fact that gratifies Nexecon CEO, Peter Brazier, but that has geologists the world over up in arms, concerned that delicate ocean floor fault lines could be disturbed with catastrophic effects. Skeptical news reporter Christen Giddings and her cameraman Jake Thompson are invited by Braziera to document the safety of 'Colossus.' The powerful drill tears through the seabed, striking a rich oil deposit. As the drill penetrates further, it ruptures a fissure that reveals a second 'mirror' ocean that has existed beneath ours for millions of years. An ocean teeming with prehistoric life. As the choking oil posions the water, the frenzied creatures swarm for the surface. Colossus buckles under the onslaught. Brazier, Christen, and a team of engineers descend in Colossus' glass elevator to assess the damage and come face to face with the most powerful oceanic predator that ever lived. Carcharodon Megalodon. The giant ancestor of the Great White Shark. This eleven-ton 'killing machine' quickly stakes its territory in the waters surrounding Colossus with disasterous and horrific consequences, destroying and devouring anything in its path. Now fate will pull them together as they wager their changes of survival against the most fearsome creature that ever dominated the ocean, and pit the technology and machinery of man against beast. Megalodon...sixty feet of prehistoric terror.

(Yes I watched it. Yes it is horrible. Yes I recommend that you too watch it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back