Hugh Martin on the catholicity of the Psalms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
What is there, sir, concerning Christ’s kingdom that is not celebrated in the Psalms in the language of fulfilment? I say that even when the mystery of God shall have been finished, and both the fulness of Israel and the fulness of the Gentiles shall have been brought in, the Church may celebrate her millennial glory in the language of fulfilment from the Psalms of David.

“He mindful of his grace and truth
To Israel’s house hath been;
And the salvation of our God
All ends of the earth have seen.”​

All the ends of the earth that have seen the salvation of our God, know the Psalms of David. The Psalms are the grand catholic hymnal, and the singing of them provides for Christian union and for perfect catholicity.

For the reference, see Hugh Martin on the catholicity of the Psalms.

I always rejoiced that whenever my in-laws were present for family worship - they would sing with us in family worship because we sing from the psalm book. They are Roman Catholics.

Sadly, they do not go to church with us. But they have sung from the Psalms.

I adore the catholicity of the psalms. We have had new families come to our congregation in recent weeks remark on the joy of singing them for the first time. These families love that they can sing with their whole-heart and not worry about the theology of them, for their theology is pure indeed.

I suspect that in due time they will become EP.

Thanks for this post, brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back